Cam Phaser debacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2020 Raptor developed the cam phaser noise back in mid January. Not just at start up, but all the time. I called my local dealer, and made an appointment. They said they couldn't get me in till the end of February, but it was "ok to drive". So I kept driving it.

Took it in on Feb 25 and they did a completely useless ecm flash that did nothing and made the truck shift funky. They scheduled a new appointment for me to bring the truck in the following week to do what I thought would be the actual repair. I show up at 8:00am and the guy is like "why are you here? We don't have the parts." So he says it's going to be at least a month or two to get the parts. But "it's ok to drive it". So frigging annoying. So unlike me, I didn't raise hell, not sure why.

In the past couple of days the noise has gotten worse, way worse. The truck is idling rough (almost dies) and I can hear it pinging under throttle. Getting a bunch more error codes on the Ford App. Clearly it isn't safe to drive anymore. Any ideas what might have changed/happened? Pretty frustrating to have a 60k mile truck that is going to sit in the driveway because I can't get a part for a month or two.
View attachment 345842
View attachment 345843
View attachment 345844
View attachment 345845
View attachment 345846
I had a 2017 Raptor and sold it because I developed a cam phaser issue which ultimately led to the whole engine being replaced at no charge. Traded it for a 2019, still has cam phaser issues. Not really bad though. Ford, you need to ge you s**t together!

CANES1

Reaction score
My 2020 Raptor developed the cam phaser noise back in mid January. Not just at start up, but all the time. I called my local dealer, and made an appointment. They said they couldn't get me in till the end of February, but it was "ok to drive". So I kept driving it.

Took it in on Feb 25 and they did a completely useless ecm flash that did nothing and made the truck shift funky. They scheduled a new appointment for me to bring the truck in the following week to do what I thought would be the actual repair. I show up at 8:00am and the guy is like "why are you here? We don't have the parts." So he says it's going to be at least a month or two to get the parts. But "it's ok to drive it". So frigging annoying. So unlike me, I didn't raise hell, not sure why.

In the past couple of days the noise has gotten worse, way worse. The truck is idling rough (almost dies) and I can hear it pinging under throttle. Getting a bunch more error codes on the Ford App. Clearly it isn't safe to drive anymore. Any ideas what might have changed/happened? Pretty frustrating to have a 60k mile truck that is going to sit in the driveway because I can't get a part for a month or two.
View attachment 345842
View attachment 345843
View attachment 345844
View attachment 345845
View attachment 345846
I have the same problems with my 18 and they told me it’s the fuel pressure regulator. Taking it Tuesday to get it replaced.

I loved drone

Reaction score

View attachment 345842
View attachment 345843
View attachment 345844
View attachment 345845
View attachment 345846

I loved drone

Reaction score
That’s not a cam phaser issue. You are low on oil. The rattling you are hearing is no oil to the top of the motor. Not good. These things burn oil. A lot of oil. Mine burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Check the oil level just after start up. If it’s not in the grades area you are a quart low. If it’s not on the stick you are more that two quarts low. Ford has done a good job of covering up this issue. They claim that a quart every thousand miles is within normal usage? That a joke. These trucks will give you no indication of low oil until it’s too late. I know because I’m on my second motor and the new motor I installed has the same issue. You have to be diligent about about checking it. If you drive hard, use sport mode and downshift a lot, these are all factors in the oil consumption. The other thing I would recommend is to set your dash with the oil pressure gauge. Check the gauge at idol with the right amount of oil in it. It should be close to 10psi at idol. That will start to drop as you burn oil. Keep an eye on it. BTW the dealers know there is a oil consumption issue with The 3.5 HP. They will play dumb and do all there stupid software flashing blah, blah,blah. Try to find a good dealer that will own up to the issues hand help you out. Good luck

metalwhiz

Reaction score
That’s not a cam phaser issue. You are low on oil. The rattling you are hearing is no oil to the top of the motor. Not good. These things burn oil. A lot of oil. Mine burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Check the oil level just after start up. If it’s not in the grades area you are a quart low. If it’s not on the stick you are more that two quarts low. Ford has done a good job of covering up this issue. They claim that a quart every thousand miles is within normal usage? That a joke. These trucks will give you no indication of low oil until it’s too late. I know because I’m on my second motor and the new motor I installed has the same issue. You have to be diligent about about checking it. If you drive hard, use sport mode and downshift a lot, these are all factors in the oil consumption. The other thing I would recommend is to set your dash with the oil pressure gauge. Check the gauge at idol with the right amount of oil in it. It should be close to 10psi at idol. That will start to drop as you burn oil. Keep an eye on it. BTW the dealers know there is a oil consumption issue with The 3.5 HP. They will play dumb and do all there stupid software flashing blah, blah,blah. Try to find a good dealer that will own up to the issues hand help you out. Good luck
That's weird. I've never had to add a drop of oil in mine between 5k oil changes. Also have had cam phaser rattle for a while and really hasn't gotten any worse.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t get it thought 2020s didn’t have the issue, I have a July build 2020 (one of the last of the gen2 run) I was figuring this wouldn’t be an issue, right before my 2018 got totaled it had developed cam phaser rattle (40k miles) was hoping that wouldn’t be something I’d be concerned w/ on a 2020 oh well!

Don’t think either truck consumes oil but I’ll start checking more often