GEN 2 Cam phaser check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Check engine light,

After reading every cam phaser post, some claim lose of power (which I've had intermittently) and today check engine light? 45k miles. So do most have check engine light with cam phasers?

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No lights popped up on the dash when I was having issues with the cam phasers. I had the rattle on cold starts only, lasting a few seconds.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light,

After reading every cam phaser post, some claim lose of power (which I've had intermittently) and today check engine light? 45k miles. So do most have check engine light with cam phasers?

When the cam phasers completely fail you will have the check engine light because things are getting out of time. Leading up to this, did you hear cold start rattle? This is a common problem on the 3.5 ecoboost and the dealer will replace parts. However, the jury is still out as to whether this latest design change on parts (at least third or fourth attempt) will permanently fix.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jesus f-uck your ignorance is astonishing. The only true and verifiable thing in your post is the cold start.

the only jury that is out is on either you’re a complete ******* retard or a total and complete ******* retard.
You can do better, is this all you got :favorites37:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean right? This POS has been beating this drum for, oh I don’t know, forever?

******* doom and gloom about the eco boost. If she owns a raptor, she should just wash the sand out of her ***, pop a pamprin and take a long ******* nap.

if she doesn’t own a raptor, she should pull the ******** out and go troll those forums. Either way the ****** nozzle should go disappear back into her own ******* and check for cancer and hopefully find some and then not go to the dr because the jury is out on fixing *******.

haven’t people had a CEL related to cam phasers tho!? I do have the cold start rattle on occasion, & on occasion it’s bad...I now prime the engine before starting if it’s sat for 48 hrs or if it’s really cold

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the cam phasers completely fail you will have the check engine light because things are getting out of time. Leading up to this, did you hear cold start rattle? This is a common problem on the 3.5 ecoboost and the dealer will replace parts. However, the jury is still out as to whether this latest design change on parts (at least third or fourth attempt) will permanently fix.

All wrong information as usual. Why do you bother posting when you don’t know what you’re talking about?

The cam phaser issue was the result of the locking pin failing to engage. It causes a rattle noise on cold start. It has nothing to do with camshaft timing; stop spreading false and misleading information.

It is also not a “common problem”. Out of millions of trucks built, a small population are affected. There has only been one part number since the original SSM was released in September 2019. The current TSB uses that same part number.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
haven’t people had a CEL related to cam phasers tho!? I do have the cold start rattle on occasion, & on occasion it’s bad...I now prime the engine before starting if it’s sat for 48 hrs or if it’s really cold

No, the cold start rattle (locking pin) issue will not cause a check engine light. If you have a check engine light with timing related DTCs, you have a separate issue.

metalwhiz

Reaction score
All wrong information as usual. Why do you bother posting when you don’t know what you’re talking about?

The cam phaser issue was the result of the locking pin failing to engage. It causes a rattle noise on cold start. It has nothing to do with camshaft timing; stop spreading false and misleading information.

It is also not a “common problem”. Out of millions of trucks built, a small population are affected. There has only been one part number since the original SSM was released in September 2019. The current TSB uses that same part number.

Unfortunately, I'm a member of the small population with the problem. Not looking forward to having my 2018 MY truck with 13k miles torn apart. Will prob wait til next year before warranty expires. I will say that mashing the gas pedal before actually starting the truck as someone recommended has stopped the rattling for now. I'm assuming this sends oil to affected area?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

She doesn’t own a Raptor, or a Ford and since when would not having any facts stopped kuan sasquatch77 from posting here?

It is also not a “common problem”. Out of millions of trucks built, a small population are affected.

Like any high publicity issue or failure, once it’s out there it takes on a life of its own. Like 2 or 3 recalls - seat belts, door latches(x2) and what not. In the big scheme of things, it’s a small percentage. Ditto the plastic oil pan (knock on wood). Relatively few failures, HOWEVER, enough for Ford to implement a design change and cover to a new part. What’s irritating about the oil pan, is that EVERY single outlet upon hearing Ford was using a plastic oil pan, criticized and questioned the penny pinching, which marketers were prepared for but Engineers had to cringe at.

While I’ve not had or observed the oil pan problem, enough people had the problem and had it multiple times for Ford to abandon it, JUST like every source outside Ford told them to - well, except for Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota.

Unfortunately, I'm a member of the small population with the problem. Not looking forward to having my 2018 MY truck with 13k miles torn apart. Will prob wait til next year before warranty expires.

I know that @FordTechOne has indicated this issue does not present a long term performance or durability problem, however, when you look at the list of parts replaced in a lot of the repairs, you’ll see cams being replaced as well as the phaser. If there’s no performance or durability issue, why are the cams being replaced in these repairs and ditto the timing chain in some of the repairs? Sure, the SSM says the same thing, but that’s a lot of not insignificant cost to absorb for no long term durability or performance concerns.

If you know about a vehicle problem and do nothing to repair it then you’re almost asking for trouble. What if there is some collateral issue that’s not documented because it’s exceedingly rare, or you’re the first to see it?