Cam phaser aftermath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Yes, it can be intermittent depending on the temp of the manifold. It failing now is likely just a coincidence.

You can wait until manifold is cold, start it up and put your hand around the turbo/manifold to feel the exhaust blowing out if it’s actually cracked.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can be intermittent depending on the temp of the manifold. It failing now is likely just a coincidence.

You can wait until manifold is cold, start it up and put your hand around the turbo/manifold to feel the exhaust blowing out if it’s actually cracked.
I will give that a try. Appreciate your input.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out my thread I just posted here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-repair-turns-into-new-long-block.95165/. Mine sounded exactly like yours and is getting a new long block motor paid for by dealer... Hope yours doesn't turn out the same, but the sounds are identical....

I will add after it made this sound the 2nd dealership I took my truck to was unable to recreate the noise mine was making in the video, but agreed to tear into it and that's what they found

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out my thread I just posted here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-repair-turns-into-new-long-block.95165/. Mine sounded exactly like yours and is getting a new long block motor paid for by dealer... Hope yours doesn't turn out the same, but the sounds are identical....
I hope not, it does sound fairly similar but I definitely hear some secondary “chattering” in yours. Regardless I read your thread and that sucks. How often did the noise occur for you?. Any noticeable performance decrease, check engine light with codes?

Like I said my noise has only occurred 2x and I drove the truck multiple times without a single sound present. I can speculate I suppose but a trip to the dealer is my best bet. My concern is that I will get the “we can’t replicate the sound”.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope not, it does sound fairly similar but I definitely hear some secondary “chattering” in yours. Regardless I read your thread and that sucks. How often did the noise occur for you?. Any noticeable performance decrease, check engine light with codes?

Like I said my noise has only occurred 2x and I drove the truck multiple times without a single sound present. I can speculate I suppose but a trip to the dealer is my best bet. My concern is that I will get the “we can’t replicate the sound”.

Like you, was worried/bummed to hear they could not recreate after multiple attempts. You were smart to take a video, that's what allowed the second dealer to tear into it again. The noise happened only twice at idle after starting and went away after driving. I'm assuming the bolt that was making the noise was completely disintegrated and now in metal flakes all through my engine and oil. Performance was normal, no CEL at all. Not sure if any codes were thrown as I just took it to the new dealer immediately because I knew it was not good making that noise and assumed it was a bad repair.

I drove it maybe 50 miles and to the second dealership with no problems at all drivability speaking. I hope yours is a better outcome than mine for sure

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like you, was worried/bummed to hear they could not recreate after multiple attempts. You were smart to take a video, that's what allowed the second dealer to tear into it again. The noise happened only twice at idle after starting and went away after driving. I'm assuming the bolt that was making the noise was completely disintegrated and now in metal flakes all through my engine and oil. Performance was normal, no CEL at all. Not sure if any codes were thrown as I just took it to the new dealer immediately because I knew it was not good making that noise and assumed it was a bad repair.

I drove it maybe 50 miles and to the second dealership with no problems at all drivability speaking. I hope yours is a better outcome than mine for

I drove it maybe 50 miles and to the second dealership with no problems at all drivability speaking. I hope yours is a better outcome than mine for sure
like I had mentioned earlier it would be an odd coincidence that this sound just started within days after getting the truck back but of course I won’t rule anything out. Other then showing them a video, that’s all I really have to go off of at this point unless it miraculously happens when I take it in, which we all know it never works out that way. I just hope the dealer will investigate it further without the sound present.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like I had mentioned earlier it would be an odd coincidence that this sound just started within days after getting the truck back but of course I won’t rule anything out. Other then showing them a video, that’s all I really have to go off of at this point unless it miraculously happens when I take it in, which we all know it never works out that way. I just hope the dealer will investigate it further without the sound present.

Yea, it was too much of a coincidence on mine to make the sound right after the repairs. I would say you're in the same boat that something was not done properly, but that's just my opinion. I hope I am wrong and it's a separate issue that's easily fixable.

Just wanted to give you my experience, knowledge is power!