Call me crazy? Swapping a 2011 ZR1 for a new 2018 Raptor?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjs_htx

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first post, but please don't hold back! Unfiltered feedback and biased/unbiased opinions are more than welcome.

A bit of background....I'm located in Houston, TX, where the streets are nearly identical to many third world countries. Ever since the launch of the Raptor, I've been quite intrigued by the concept/approach from Ford...the ultimate daily driver in my mind (maybe why they're so prevalent in Houston?).

I'm a lifelong GM owner; grew up around them, first driving experiences were always GM, dad always drove GM, and I've never known anything else. My daily driving duties are handled by a Tahoe PPV, very functional and a great pavement pounder. Aside from the daily driver, I've always had a huge interest in Corvettes, and currently have a 2011 ZR1. Regardless of what others think, I consider it to be hands-down one of the best 2-3 cars in the world dollar-for-dollar, and wanted one the second GM rumored the ZR1 development years ago.

Although the ZR1 is perfect in every way, Houston street/highway quality and vast amount of traffic seldom let me fully enjoy the car. When you want a total rush, it fills the need every time, but the other 98% of the time where it's almost too much of a hassle to take out of the garage, it just sits and looks good in the garage.

The 2nd gen Raptor has really garnered my attention the past few months. I loved the first gen, but cannot stop looking at the latest and greatest. I'm a bit torn on Ford's move into a V6/turbo setup as I've always been in the camp of "trucks need a V8, period", but have kept up with the development of the 10-speed trans co-developed with GM for the ZL1 (also an incredible car).

I've never purchased a new vehicle in my life, but am in a position to sell off the fleet and "downsize" to just one primary vehicle. Assuming it's a Raptor, would function as a daily as well as a weekend warrior when time allows.

I'm just looking for some input from the Raptor community, especially those of you with some of the second gen setups. I'm also interested in any points of contact within this community regarding a purchase, assuming I eventually move in that direction. Many dealerships I've looked at tend to kick prices way above MSRP; I don't intend to pay a dime over MSRP. I have a feeling the input on here will be a little biased towards the Raptor, but wanted to gather high level insight from the folks actually driving them.

Sorry for the long post, and I look forward to some feedback.

Thanks all!

Russell

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. The Rap makes a good and flexible primary vehicle but you do need to understand -as I’m sure you do with the ‘vette - that the Raptor was designed first and foremost as an off road vehicle. I feel you. I’ve been around the track in a C5 Corvette and for track days, the Corvette is an awesome platform. The Raptor is not going to be as fast, nor will it handle as well, nor will it fit in as many places but, it is a capable vehicle that is legitimately quick, gets ok mpg, and you can pack all kinds of stuff into and haul.

Keep an eye on the newbie forum and gen 2 general discussion forum, dealers chime in a few times every couple weeks with an MSRP offer. You’re right to hold out for MSRP.

Once you drive the new Raptor, you will not pine for the V8.

You can use the Ford site to configure and search for local options, or go to raptorfinder.com and search. Plenty of options. The new Rap has a lot of tech options that really loft the price, but a lot of is pretty doggone good.

For me it was a great option; the wife can drive it so long as someone keeps an eye on her. if we don’t, we’ll be picking Priuses out of the grill. she’s murder on manual transmissions. It’s comfortable for long hauls, and is quite capable off road.

If you’re interested, you won’t be disappointed.
good luck!

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep zr1 and purchase 13/14 raptor?

I kept my 03 KB Cobra and picked up a 13 raptor couple years back

KenFX

Reaction score
Hey Russell, I just did something very similar and traded my 14 AMG CLA45 for an 18 Raptor. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. I've had It for 15 days now and already have 1500miles on it because I had to road trip to a dealer who agreed to sell at msrp. It doesn't fit in the garage as easily but it's waaay more capable. Although I'm a speed freak and I'd love to have a v8 w/supercharger, the gen2 Raptor does not disappoint. Eventually I'll tweek and add stuff to make it faster but for now I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.
I say go for it!

OP
OP
R

rjs_htx

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. The Rap makes a good and flexible primary vehicle but you do need to understand -as I’m sure you do with the ‘vette - that the Raptor was designed first and foremost as an off road vehicle. I feel you. I’ve been around the track in a C5 Corvette and for track days, the Corvette is an awesome platform. The Raptor is not going to be as fast, nor will it handle as well, nor will it fit in as many places but, it is a capable vehicle that is legitimately quick, gets ok mpg, and you can pack all kinds of stuff into and haul.

Keep an eye on the newbie forum and gen 2 general discussion forum, dealers chime in a few times every couple weeks with an MSRP offer. You’re right to hold out for MSRP.

Once you drive the new Raptor, you will not pine for the V8.

You can use the Ford site to configure and search for local options, or go to raptorfinder.com and search. Plenty of options. The new Rap has a lot of tech options that really loft the price, but a lot of is pretty doggone good.

For me it was a great option; the wife can drive it so long as someone keeps an eye on her. if we don’t, we’ll be picking Priuses out of the grill. she’s murder on manual transmissions. It’s comfortable for long hauls, and is quite capable off road.

If you’re interested, you won’t be disappointed.
good luck!

Awesome feedback. My lady would likely be in the same situation as yours...of course it's always the other driver's fault though! And agreed, there are definitely some trade-offs on the performance side of things, but the more versatile usability of the Raptor platform is something that would trump the corner carving capabilities of the ZR1. I've never been much into off-roading, but have also never owned something as capable as a Raptor. It just pains me to leave the Vette sitting in the garage so frequently.

I'll keep an eye on the forum as suggested, and reach out to a few of the salesmen who frequent the forum. I've traveled multiple times for various vehicle purchases the last few years, so it's not something I'm opposed to. As you said, the price swings quite a bit by how "high-tech" you want the truck setup - my ideal build is a bit more of a "bare-bones" approach, with a bit of flexibility on a few things.

Thanks again, great input!

Keep zr1 and purchase 13/14 raptor?

I kept my 03 KB Cobra and picked up a 13 raptor couple years back

Also an option I've kicked around. I always liked the first gen, but it wasn't until the arrival of the 2nd gen that I became legitimately interested in actually purchasing one. I haven't dismissed the first gen option though. Always had a soft spot for the Termi, good taste!

Hey Russell, I just did something very similar and traded my 14 AMG CLA45 for an 18 Raptor. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. I've had It for 15 days now and already have 1500miles on it because I had to road trip to a dealer who agreed to sell at msrp. It doesn't fit in the garage as easily but it's waaay more capable. Although I'm a speed freak and I'd love to have a v8 w/supercharger, the gen2 Raptor does not disappoint. Eventually I'll tweek and add stuff to make it faster but for now I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.
I say go for it!

Awesome, glad to hear you're both very pleased with the purchase and also able to find one at MSRP! It's a bit more challenging than one would think, especially if you're looking for a specific build setup/option package(s). My wife actually drives a C450AMG - awesome car, but it's absolute hell to drive on the Houston streets. The size of the truck is a bit of an issue with my garage as well...not exactly sure she'll be able to live inside if I end up pursing one. I'm slowly moving more into a trade-off between a vehicle that's more usable as an all-around setup rather than a full-blown speed/track monster. Appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus one me to the keep the Vette and buy a Gen 1! My wife has a 14 Vette that sits by my Raptor in the garage. As far as the motors go- you can read for days on which is best. As for us- both are V8, both are 6.2L and both are over 500 HP. Guess that shows where I stand on the motor Regardless Good Luck on search! It's gonna be fun when you get it

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'd be happy swapping the ZR1 for a Raptor.
I know I wasn't.
I have had C5Zs, SSs, GTOs, etc. Finally had the opportunity to obtain a Raptor and did it.
While I love my truck dearly, I truly missed having a sports car. So I now have a '17 GT sitting next to my Raptor. Best of both worlds.
For what I have in both of them, I could have either a GT350 or a new Raptor. But for me, I'm okay with an old Raptor and a lowly 5.0.

So I agree with a couple of previous posters. Keep the 'Vette, and buy a Gen1 with 40K+ miles on it for mid-$40Ks.