California Smog Permanent Fault Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAQ51

Reaction score
Question, 2013 Raptor 6.2, had to get a "Star" smog certification in South Orange County in California. Truck mechanically is stock, no tunes. I failed because of a 'Permanent Fault Codes P260F - EVAP System Monitoring Processor Performance". The smog guy said I need to go to Ford dealer to remove the code. I would note that I had the battery disconnected the day before and less then 30 miles post reconnecting. Can anyone advise if I do need to go to dealer or if driving the truck will make this Perm code go away? My apologies if this is the wrong place to post a question, a redirect would be appreciated. Thank you

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
  • Module communications network concerns
  • PCM calibration level
  • Damaged PCM
  • Faulty Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (IMTV) Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (IMTV) harness is open or shorted Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (IMTV) circuit poor electrical connection Faulty Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • don't blame me blame google

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Permanent codes cannot be cleared. Regardless, when the battery is disconnected, the OBD2 monitors reset. It typically takes more than just a 30 mile drive to have all of the emissions tests run. I’d recommend driving it more and checking the OBD2 readiness monitors before paying the smog station again.

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My monitors usually reset after disconnecting the battery and clearing all codes. After a 80 mile drive in SoCal traffic, monitors are typically ready.

ugliestdrivingraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're going to need to drive roughly 200 miles to clear the permanent code once the underlying issue that caused it in the first placed has been fixed. Normal dct monitors will clear after 100ish miles like @itsrichierich was saying.

smwalker

Reaction score
So to give you some direction. Permanent codes are a new thing is 2010 and newer vehicles so folks are not up to speed on them yet. With the check engine light off and a permanent code present does not mean there is anything wrong with your car. It means there WAS something wrong with your car and those codes are going to stay around a while to make sure you fixed it right. If not for a CA SMOG you can basically ignore Permanent codes they are not hurting anyone hanging around inside a ECU.

You cannot clear a permanent code with a scanner or battery disconnect.
You can pass a CA SMOG check with a permanent code in place as long as you have these items in place:
No Check Engine Light
Monitors Complete (Except for EVAP, that can be incomplete)
And this is the important part: Driven 200 miles and have 15 Warm Up cycles since the last time the DTC's codes were cleared.

Now doing this 200/15 task will not clear the Permanent code but rather the CA SMOG machine has been programmed to ignore the
Permanent code if 200 / 15 is complete. Info from the BAR: Permanent Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Warm up cycles are simply the engine getting up to a normal operating temperature then cooling back down below a certain temp. Below is a video of a guy forcing them on a car with a fan to aid in cooling things down. This can be done in your driveway if you want.

Most scanners should have the Data PID's that will show you how many warm up cycles you have done and how long you have driven. If those are better than 200/15 you are good to go for a smog. Look in your "DataStream" or "Live Data" list

If you go for the smog and the inspector turns you away because of a permanent code tell them to kindy run your vehicle through the test. It's not thier job to save you from a fail. They are to run the vehicle as it is presented, that is what the BAR tells them.
If they wont give you a test file a complaint with the State BAR and keep trying another place. I got a guy with 4 complaints in on shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free