Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

California Raptor Owners

Discussion in 'Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]' started by Varhammer, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Varhammer

Varhammer Full Access Member

For the California Raptor owners..
    When I just purchased my Raptor the dealer told me that my vehicle will be getting commercial plates due to the weight.
    I'm used to having standard license plates.

Can anyone shed some light as to why my vehicle will have the commercial plates?
    Also will I need to do any special when I am driving..I've seen some of the weight stations that say all commercial vehicle must stop, does this mean I have to now.?

This is all new to me and I'm throughly confused now.
    Any and all hep is appreciated.

2. 4twenty7

4twenty7 Member

interesting - I would love some insights as well. My plates came in yesterday and I didn't realize they were Commercial until you pointed it out.

My guess is that it's just a way for them to charge us more...

--M

3. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla FRF Addict

So the deal is, because of the weight of the truck and the open bed its considered a "commercial vehicle", which just means you pay more in registration, that's it. If you want to avoid that extra charge, you need to permanently (as in weld it on and you can never take it off) attach a camper shell to it and then go through DMV paperwork to get it approved and changed.

You are fine, we are all paying it, and nothing is really different, just be ready for a $500 sticker every year. :)

4. Boomer12

Boomer12 Full Access Member

^ this... and there's no need to pull into a scale. Infact most have signs specifically saying no pick ups.

Although it is worth mentioning that for those of us that have commercial drivers licenses, we can/will be held to California's commercial BAC level of 0.04 while behind the wheel of these trucks, making it much easier to be charged with a DUI.

5. Varhammer

Varhammer Full Access Member

So reg is $500 a year? Damn!!
    I so hope that this makes it worth being able to park in the yellow zones..
    I wasn't aware of that..
    Does that amount change yearly or is that a set price forever?

I think one of you guys was right..it's a way to soak you for a expensive registration fee yearly..

6. DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor FRF Addict

$500? Only in Kommifornia.

7. Icecobra

Icecobra FRF Addict

You can only park in yellow zones while loading and unloading or you get a ticket.. And you better be seen loading and unloading.. Most yellow zones now are posted 15 minutes so that's another issue...

8. Juiced4ever

Juiced4ever Full Access Member

The section of the California vehicle code 23152 (d) which applies to operation of a commercial vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of .04% or greater being the legal limit does not apply to a privately owned pick up truck with commercial plates.

For it to apply you have to be driving a commercial vehicle with a class a or b license while on duty. Ie truck drivers, delivery drivers, bus drivers and so on.

I hope that makes sense