CAI (cold air intake) fitments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flwrappeder

Reaction score
anyone tried the whipple? my intercooler from SVC has been sitting in my garage since january. Im waiting on a bumper svc makes to be released for the gen 3 before i put it in so i can do it all at once.

DRL1865

Reaction score
does the Cobb FMIC fit the gen 3's ? Their site says 3.5L Ecoboost raptor, but isn't specific about the year models. Im assuming it fits, but wanted to be sure before I spent the $. Thank you in advance

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does the Cobb FMIC fit the gen 3's ? Their site says 3.5L Ecoboost raptor, but isn't specific about the year models. Im assuming it fits, but wanted to be sure before I spent the $. Thank you in advance

I have one sitting in my garage waiting to install, it includes an additional silicone coupler to fit on the gen3’s

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with S&B CAI, have you had any issues driving in heavy downpours? How well does the box prevent water entrainment?

Also, are you guys running the CAI in the winter as well? I wasn't sure if you lose some efficiencies with the bitter cold air.

blue22raptor

Reaction score
The S&B is designed exactly like the factory part it replaces. The main difference is the filter design. It even reuses the factory intake snout that it attached under the hood. So, to answer your question, it will work just like the factory intake you would replace, but with better flow (supposedly). I have never seen an issue with water intrusion/entrainment...
Only possible difference would be if you run it with the intake cover off...
I do that in the winter here in Florida. Obviously not concerned with sleet/snow. I get more intake/turbo whistle with the cover off. Then, I put the cover back on in the summer, when ambient temps are high.
I can definitely feel a big difference between a hot summer afternoon and a cool winter morning. Truck feels like it has ALOT more power when it's cold outside!

noki016

Reaction score
Any one have tried installing Injen PF9015WB for PF Cold Air Intake 15-20 Ford F-150/Raptor -3.5/2.7L EcoBoost on a 22 raptor? it says 17-20 raptor and this my first raptor so wondering if it will fit?

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The S&B is designed exactly like the factory part it replaces. The main difference is the filter design. It even reuses the factory intake snout that it attached under the hood. So, to answer your question, it will work just like the factory intake you would replace, but with better flow (supposedly). I have never seen an issue with water intrusion/entrainment...
Only possible difference would be if you run it with the intake cover off...
I do that in the winter here in Florida. Obviously not concerned with sleet/snow. I get more intake/turbo whistle with the cover off. Then, I put the cover back on in the summer, when ambient temps are high.
I can definitely feel a big difference between a hot summer afternoon and a cool winter morning. Truck feels like it has ALOT more power when it's cold outside!
Thank you for answering quite a few of my questions, especially the rain one. I figure if it holds well enough for you down in florida, I shouldn't have an issue up further north.

The only question I still have out there is the concern of the impact of bitter cold air during the winter. Does it impact the engine to have a CAI on a 0F day (-20F windchill). Is it more advantageous to keep the stock box for those situations? Or is it overall OK?

blue22raptor

Reaction score
I don’t think it would be a problem. It’s called a “Cold Air Intake”, but it acts just like the factory unit. I’m sure Ford considered those cold days when they designed the factory intake!
Intakes these days are pretty good. I remember installing a real CAI on a VW (many years ago) that tucked down under the front bumper. Was a real pain in the a$$ to install or service. The whole front bumper had to come off. The factory intake was pretty restrictive on that vehicle, so the CAI actually took in cooler air And made a slight bump in HP. Newer vehicles, like our trucks, have a really good intake design. It is already taking in fresh air directly from the upper grill. You should be good to go!