CAI (cold air intake) fitments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020scab123

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m looking to put a CAI on my gen 3.

Anyone have an AFE or other brand that fits? I’m seeing 2021 f150 cais and 2020 raptor ones but don’t know which ones will work.

Thanks!

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 2 Raptor and 2018 & up 3.5 ecoboost intakes will fit. You will loose power and money without tuning.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(Maybe someone can correct me), but from what ive read, with such small turbos there is almost no instance the stock intake is starving the engine of air. CAI are a waste unless upgrading turbos?

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Maybe someone can correct me), but from what ive read, with such small turbos there is almost no instance the stock intake is starving the engine of air. CAI are a waste unless upgrading turbos?

The factory intake is directly correlated to the factory turbo volumetric efficiency. The intake may give you 15% more turbo whooshes though.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps increasing the volumetric capacity of the intercooler with aftermarket leaves a negative void that an aftermarket intake can remedy? Again, maybe someone else knows better? Thats what all the tuner peeps are doing but i thought that was just for reduction of heat in the air charge in relationship to spark timing (warmer air being more unstable at higher compression) . I don't know for sure.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps increasing the volumetric capacity of the intercooler with aftermarket leaves a negative void that an aftermarket intake can remedy? Again, maybe someone else knows better? Thats what all the tuner peeps are doing but i thought that was just for reduction of heat in the air charge in relationship to spark timing (warmer air being more unstable at higher compression) . I don't know for sure.

Intercooler provides better gains. I've heard that removing the shutters only gives quite a bit. Would have to get my truck and piddle first

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just want more sound the AFE drop in filter will give you more noise than stock. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afe-31-10162

Many of the "cold" air intakes still use the same hood inlet connected to a new box/filter so not sure where the cold part is coming from...there are some open ones that may pull more air, but I wouldn't want to be offroad with those.