Cabin beeps changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Five-Seven

Reaction score
This morning when I got in my truck (2018 SCREW) I noticed the sounds changed from the normal slow beeps and dings to what sounded close to the alarm when you put the parking brake on when the truck is in gear. My parking brake was on, but was not in gear. At first I thought I was crazy and it was nothing - but then as I backed in to my parking spot at work I noticed that the backup warning tones had also changed. The most noticeable one was when I was within a few inches of the wall it started beeping rapidly and at a high pitch tone, as opposed to the typical constant lower pitched tone.

Has anyone else noticed a similar issue or have any idea of what may have changed? I confirmed no error codes or warning lights were on and no settings have changed since I drove it yesterday. Any thoughts or related stories would help - thanks.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The warning chimes and backup sensor tones are played through the audio system. If there is a fault in the audio system, the chimes will then default the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) speaker, which sounds like a cheap arcade game.

By chance did you turn the audio system on with the ignition off by pressing the volume control knob power button? I've noticed that if I do that on my truck, on the next key cycle the chimes/warning default to the IPC speaker. After cycling the key again, the chimes return to normal. Appears to be a programming glitch.

If after multiple drive cycles the chimes still come from the IPC, there are probably DTCs in the audio system (there will be no indication of these), at which point the dealer will need to diagnose the fault that is occurring.

OP
OP
F

Five-Seven

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don’t recall turning the audio system on but perhaps that was the cause. When I left work all seemed back to normal - so perhaps what you described happened unknowingly.

The sound coming from the IPC makes sense and it did sound like an 80s video game.

Appreciate the feedback.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this happens every ow and then. There is a back up piezo speaker in the dash to act as a warning just in case there is a fault with the audio system.

My defaults back to the smaller piezo speaker 1x every month or so. cycle the power on the truck and it clears itself up right away.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This started happening to me a few days ago. How do you power cycle the truck?

Not sure what a “power cycle” is. You could try a battery disconnect and see if that helps.

If it’s not resolved with a battery disconnect, you most likely have DTCs stored in one or more audio system modules.