CA smog test on new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MO to CA

Reaction score
You do not need to get it weighed if you have the certificate of origin. The California DMV explicitly says this on their website. The COO is the birth certificate of the vehicle.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, this thread I created when I bought mine lays it all out for you:
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/info-for-californians-who-buy-out-of-state.67357/

His list is correct form my experience. I've bought one new one from out of state before, and a couple used ones.

The DMV (or maybe AAA) should give you a one day temp permit so you can drive it for the day to put enough miles on it for Smog. AAA usually doesn't deal with dealer purchases or out of state vehicles, so they're a maybe.

bruce7105

Reaction score
Bought mine from out of Ca had to smog but not weighed certificate of origin was all they needed it has the weight on it, just need a boat load of money to pay tax and license.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do not need to get it weighed if you have the certificate of origin. The California DMV explicitly says this on their website. The COO is the birth certificate of the vehicle.
OK well, they made me get mine weighed. Bought out of state, had to get an official weight cert. Maybe I got unlucky, but there is a ginormous thread on this very issue and most if not all had to get the trucks weighed.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the weighing bit may or may not apply depending on who at the DMV you're working with. It's never black and white with them. 100% certainty can never be expected.

Just remember, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it when it comes to the DMV, or AAA

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it when it comes to the DMV, or AAA

I disagree when it comes to weight certificates. I believe you pay registration based on value and weight since it is registered as a commercial vehicle. The weight on the MSO will be less than your wet weight when you weigh it.

One thing that may help is to have their website info available for when you go to the DMV. I had an issue with an old car from Georgia. They didn’t provide title for pre 1975 (I think) cars so a Bill of Sale and registration was all that was required. The CA dmv person argued with me that I needed a title. I had them look up Georgia vehicle code to see I was right. They were pissed. They made copies of the code and went to their manager who approved the title transfer. They weren’t happy with me.

They don’t know everything and they don’t like to be corrected.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disagree when it comes to weight certificates. I believe you pay registration based on value and weight since it is registered as a commercial vehicle. The weight on the MSO will be less than your wet weight when you weigh it.

One thing that may help is to have their website info available for when you go to the DMV. I had an issue with an old car from Georgia. They didn’t provide title for pre 1975 (I think) cars so a Bill of Sale and registration was all that was required. The CA dmv person argued with me that I needed a title. I had them look up Georgia vehicle code to see I was right. They were pissed. They made copies of the code and went to their manager who approved the title transfer. They weren’t happy with me.

They don’t know everything and they don’t like to be corrected.
So you disagree and then add a disclaimer that you “believe” when people have posted that some needed it and some didn’t? We’ve all had issues with inconsistencies in dealing with the DMV and AAA. CA does require a weight cert for commercial vehicles purchased out of state. How and when that’s in forced is the issue.

isldtime

Reaction score
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you get to the DMV.
Your previous Veh. was totaled in a head on while on a cross country trip right?
If not, bring your checkbook!!
That's why I don't live there. First 6 mo. tags in Ky. for my 2020 was $53

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you get to the DMV.
Your previous Veh. was totaled in a head on while on a cross country trip right?
If not, bring your checkbook!!
That's why I don't live there. First 6 mo. tags in Ky. for my 2020 was $53
Not sure what this has to do with anything. But you go on...