CA smog test on new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reez

Reaction score
My new 2020 Raptor was delivered and I need to get it registered (I live in CA and bought truck from Indiana).

I went to my local gas station to get smog test before heading to DMV on Monday. They said because the truck only had 25 miles on it, it will fail the smog test. Stating it needs to have ~150 miles on it to ensure a proper smog test. The only issue is that the truck didn't come with temp plates from dealer so driving it around risks getting pulled over.

Is this right though? Does the truck need a "drive cycle" to get a smog check? Thanks

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My new 2020 Raptor was delivered and I need to get it registered (I live in CA and bought truck from Indiana).

I went to my local gas station to get smog test before heading to DMV on Monday. They said because the truck only had 25 miles on it, it will fail the smog test. Stating it needs to have ~150 miles on it to ensure a proper smog test. The only issue is that the truck didn't come with temp plates from dealer so driving it around risks getting pulled over.

Is this right though? Does the truck need a "drive cycle" to get a smog check? Thanks

This is true - the truck needs to trigger 'readiness' which happens at about 200 miles or so. You need to get it weighed too FYI.

OP
OP
R

Reez

Reaction score
This is true - the truck needs to trigger 'readiness' which happens at about 200 miles or so. You need to get it weighed too FYI.

Got it. Thank you.

I thought you did NOT need a weight certificate if you have a certificate of origin because the weight (under 6k lbs) is listed on that document?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s probably a specific drive cycle you can do in less than an hour to set all the readiness codes. I don’t know if new cars are the same but it used to be a 25-30 min highway drive between 50 and 60 mph with about 1/4 tank of gas would cover all the necessary flags. You can probably google obdii readiness codes and get the specifics.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to be sure before you go back to the smog shop, you can just buy a $30 obd2 scanner and just drive around with it plugged in. Once all tests show a pass you are good to go. Probably will happen way before 150 miles.

The scanner will be handy for future out of state purchases as well. Has been for me.

OP
OP
R

Reez

Reaction score
Yes totally normal.

Thank you.
There’s probably a specific drive cycle you can do in less than an hour to set all the readiness codes. I don’t know if new cars are the same but it used to be a 25-30 min highway drive between 50 and 60 mph with about 1/4 tank of gas would cover all the necessary flags. You can probably google obdii readiness codes and get the specifics.

Thanks. Called a few more Smog check centers and one said the exact same thing. Get on a highway and drive for ~30 min and should be good. Just can't be stop and go...which means i'll have to hit the highway early on Sunday morning to avoid any LA traffic.

Denyen

Reaction score
Thank you.

Thanks. Called a few more Smog check centers and one said the exact same thing. Get on a highway and drive for ~30 min and should be good. Just can't be stop and go...which means i'll have to hit the highway early on Sunday morning to avoid any LA traffic.
I didn't know you could avoid LA traffic......