CA Moves to Kill the ICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.kron4.com/news/californ...as-powered-passenger-cars-and-trucks-by-2035/

Posted this is another thread but probably worth it's own discussion. Not trying to start a California flame war.

Starting off I think all significant changes to society start with lofty goals with corresponding effort to meet the demands (Think space race, Manhattan project, etc). Counter point is we as enthusiasts are going to get pushed out of the conversation because the manufacturers literally will not be able to build us vehicles we want.

Do you think there's a future for enthusiasts in a electrified world?

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I'm not up on my Hipster Tesla Talk, but isn't there an AWD Model that has Ludicrous Mode?

I remember a few years back Top Gear USA tested a Tesla against the Cadillac CTS-V and the Charger Hellcat, and the hole shot was insane. If manufacturers can produce electric vehicles with performance included, enthusiasts will slowly follow the trend.

For me the real question is battery life. I live in Western Montana, and traveling from here to Seattle, WA is 500 miles. Currently I stop for gas, go pee, and then I'm on my way. I have serious concerns about an electric vehicle being able to realistically make these kinds of trips.

OP
OP
Braaaaptor

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me the real question is battery life. I live in Western Montana, and traveling from here to Seattle, WA is 500 miles. Currently I stop for gas, go pee, and then I'm on my way. I have serious concerns about an electric vehicle being able to realistically make these kinds of trips.
This. Especially since CA has a plethora of remote places off the beaten path (Sierra Nevadas, anything East of San Bernardino, North of Shasta) it'll be damn hard to reinvent the support structure quickly enough to make EVs a viable option for folks who live in the way outs.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This. Especially since CA has a plethora of remote places off the beaten path (Sierra Nevadas, anything East of San Bernardino, North of Shasta) it'll be damn hard to reinvent the support structure quickly enough to make EVs a viable option for folks who live in the way outs.

Not really. Once the infrastructure is in place it's pretty much self sustaining with occasional maintenance vs trucking in fuel and refilling the station tanks on a regular bases.

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot can change in 15 years. Electric is coming, make no mistake. It gives every single car company a reason that your old ICE vehicle needs to be replaced. However, no car company is completely writing off ICEs (aside from all-electric companies like Tesla of course). BMW is planning on another 50 years of ICS development for example.

Perhaps ICE will become niche and for enthusiast that want to get off the grid or have special requirements of their vehicles. But Baja trips, overlanding, track days will all still be around, the question is how they are addressed. People won't give up on this and will demand a way to achieve it. It's easy for politicians, most of who won't even be in office in 15 years, to say by this date, this will happen. It never works that way. The larger message is, electric is coming, has some nice benefits, and we'll all adjust. Get ready for more taxes BTW, since electric vehicles bypass the highway taxes built into a gallon go gas.

Electric has its advantages. Tesla yesterday announced their new Plaid model S platform. Sun 9-seconf 1/4 mile times, 200 MPH top speed. Even with Tesla's usual over-hyping included, that will be one hell of a car. I've had two electric cars now and there is something about them that's really satisfying to use. But I also have plenty of ICE vehicles and they are my go-to when I want to actually get somewhere. We're going to see a blend of the two for the next few decades.

OP
OP
Braaaaptor

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. Once the infrastructure is in place it's pretty much self sustaining with occasional maintenance vs trucking in fuel and refilling the station tanks on a regular bases.
Agreed that it's a win for not needing constant resupply, however supercharger networks are years away for cities and likely decades away for the boonies. Add in that there aren't a ton of companies putting serious work into charging networks (Tesla, Electrify America, and Porsche come to mind) and I think the grId/sustainment is what's holding back EVs especially as adventure vehicles.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed that it's a win for not needing constant resupply, however supercharger networks are years away for cities and likely decades away for the boonies. Add in that there aren't a ton of companies putting serious work into charging networks (Tesla, Electrify America, and Porsche come to mind) and I think the grId/sustainment is what's holding back EVs especially as adventure vehicles.

I think the transition to EV will happen faster than people think. I don't think the transition will slow much due to only a handful of companies putting in serious investment. I think those that aren't seriously investing now are going to have a real hard time being competitive in the next decade. I agree that battery advancements need to happen and infrastructure needs to get better before a complete transition were to take place.

MRFORDMAN

Reaction score
Until your entire roof system is composed of solar panel shingles there is not much point to the idea of electric cars saving the environment. If Tesla was really interested in conservation they would focus more on range and less on speed.