C1296 front left wheel speed sensor (Hill descent and ABS faults)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FordFanStan

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction, I think I did have to remove the sensor when I installed the RCV IWE eliminators. Then that’s when it first tripped.

OP
OP
FordFanStan

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After cleaning off the hub where the sensors are seated, I cleaned all the brake components of the extra grease from the initial install and re-installed them. I tightened the rotors down, put the entire truck up on jack stands, put in 4wd, and brought it up to at least 15mph. No code. I was ecstatic. Mounted wheels and went for a test drive and as soon as I was near 15mph it tripped the C1296 code again and all the dash lights. This is very aggravating.

Is the tone ring permanently affixed or mounted inside the hub?

Is there any way I can test the wiring up to the sensor plug maybe?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After cleaning off the hub where the sensors are seated, I cleaned all the brake components of the extra grease from the initial install and re-installed them. I tightened the rotors down, put the entire truck up on jack stands, put in 4wd, and brought it up to at least 15mph. No code. I was ecstatic. Mounted wheels and went for a test drive and as soon as I was near 15mph it tripped the C1296 code again and all the dash lights. This is very aggravating.

Is the tone ring permanently affixed or mounted inside the hub?

Is there any way I can test the wiring up to the sensor plug maybe?
The fact that it didn’t set the DTC while lifted is a good indication that the tone ring is shifting when the vehicle’s weight is applied to the wheel bearing. The tone ring is integral with the wheel bearing within the hub assembly.

The circuits can also be checked for high resistance, as that fault will not set a circuit DTC. First verify that you have at least 10V at pin 2 of the wheel speed sensor connector, harness (vehicle) side with the ignition on. If at least 10V is present, you can measure the resistance of the circuits between the sensor connection and ABS Module using an ohm meter. Pin 1 of the wheel speed sensor connector is Pin 34 at the ABS Module connector, and Pin 2 is Pin 21 at the ABS Module connector. Resistance should be less than 3 ohms, but preferably less than 1 ohm.

OP
OP
FordFanStan

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled the connector and tested for voltage and I’m getting 0.015 on the purple w/white, and when I test the solid yellow wire it starts around 1.020 volt and slowly works it away down to about 0.992. I was using negative terminal on battery to ground, and when I swap from pin of connector to the positive battery terminal, the voltmeter reads correctly with ~12.85 KOEO and ~14.65 KOER.

OP
OP
FordFanStan

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have no wiring diagram and don’t know which pins are which I pulled the loom and peeled all the tape back following the wires. The two wires for that connector run directly into the ABS module plug (like you told me haha). I will try to find out how to test the ohm resistance on those wires.

OP
OP
FordFanStan

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I eliminated everything, but the hub and abs module, I decided to just replace the hubs. I bought some from RockAuto and got them installed yesterday. No issues after.

My guess is the RCV IWE eliminator must have messed with the tone ring inside, as it was perfectly fine before I installed them. Oh well, fixed now. Thanks for the help everyone.