C vs E rated tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisK661

Reaction score
So I switched from the stock KO2's to a 35 Cooper Discover AT3 XLT. The stocks are a 6 ply C rated tire and almost all other options including the Coopers and the 35" KO2's are E rated 10 ply tires. I am noticing a significant ride difference. Anyone experience the same with the E rated KO2's? Before I send them back to Cooper I was hoping someone had a comment. Main thing is change from a C to E rated KO2 noticeably different or is it just the Cooper tire. Really feel the road and tire more.

OP
OP
C

ChrisK661

Reaction score
Also started them at 36 psi but have dropped to 32 psi. Better but still noticeable. Feel better when the truck has some kids/equipment loaded in it.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately there aren't many load range C tires to choose from in the 315/70/17 or 35x12.5x17 sizes.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it’s a truck, I’m happy with load range “e” mt’s and to me the difference on road is acceptable and minimal

OP
OP
C

ChrisK661

Reaction score
So, my main question is for someone who went the stock C rated KO2’s to an e rated KO2 35’s? And what the difference was. I am wondering if I send the Coopers back and go e rated KO2’s. If the e rated KO2’s weren’t that much difference. Is it just the coopers...

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
E's are always rougher. I love E's on certain trucks but the Raptor isn't one of them. If I wanted it to have a firmer ride I would do it with suspension, not tire.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
You will never find a tire that out performs the BFG KO's except maybe in the mud. Get some "Ground Hawgs" if you want the ultimate mud tire. I have had so many sets of BFG's I can't count them. They make any truck ride better. They handle road hazards well. Nails, screws you won't even know they are there unless you see them or get a new set and run your hand on the inside. Long mileage if rotated regularly. If you get in a bind you can slack them down and not even use four wheel drive especially in the sand. C vs E? this is my first set of C's. The jury is still out on dealing with road hazards, but the ride is over the top and we all know that because we all start out with them. I'm sure the C's ride better than the E's. I am glad there is a difference. I plan to keep them on my raptor and stick with class E on my F-250. Tire salesmen don't like to sell them because they know you won't need another set any time soon. Just my opinion but I even have a set on my disc that I found at the junk yard.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing will ride as nice as the OEM tires. They were developed specifically for your truck.

Who knows why it rides bad. You have two variables- Coopers are budget tires and they are E load rated. It's probably a little bit of both.

If it's bothering you, I'd suggest swapping out the Coopers for the OEM tires if you still can. It will only get worse as they age.