Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

C&D Comparison (Raptor vs. TRX)

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by KAH24, Oct 23, 2020.

1. KAH24

KAH24 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Competition is good. This was a fair comparison by Car & Driver in my opinion (link below).

My gut tells me that Ford will respond in due time—and wouldn’t it be great if GM jumped into the “factory quasi trophy truck” game as well.

I prefer the looks of the Raptor and F-series trucks to others, which is a clear bias that I own.

That said,..., things are looking bad for my grocery store runs, dinner to go, & mall runs—about to get smoked by the new kid in town.

Horsepower: 702hp whips 450hp hands down, and the TRX sounds better. Both trucks are in love with the gas pump, the TRX significantly more so. Of course that isn’t why one buys a truck—so I won’t go into that rabbit hole.

Factory weight (I take manufacturer weight not too seriously): TRX weighs approx 6800 vs. Raptor at 5900 which isn’t overly horrific given a steel vs. aluminum bodied truck—depending on where the tonnage went. Curious where the weight difference lies between the two trucks (don’t know engine weight, nor unsprung vs. sprung mass—which would be interesting to see).

Tip of the hat to FCA. Well done in their ability to put the 6.2L Hellcat derived motor into sedans, coupes, SUVs—and now this pickup truck.

Well done, as I’d do the same if I had that motor. Make plenty, pay off the fixed costs of tooling/development, etc.

Next, I’d create a Hellcat powered motorcycle. I’m an avid motorcyclist and am drooling in anticipation. All kidding aside, Daimler-Chrysler did that with the Viper motor once upon a time.

Indeed, competition is good.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...1500-trx-vs-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    quikag likes this.
  2. RAPTERRIER

RAPTERRIER Full Access On Your Mom

Dodge and Ram make products that red blooded Americans actually want. Nobody wanted an eco poof engine in a Raptor but Ford jammed it down the throats of enthusiasts as they didn't have any competition at the time. Now that they're getting their ass handed to them, they'll come out with a boosted V8 that everyone wanted initially.

3. 04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi It's Just a Username

I came from a 2012 Power Wagon (and a 2004 HD Ram with the 5.7L Hemi before that), so I think I can speak to your comments.

Sound aside, the EcoPoop as I call it is a great motor. The 3.5L Twin Turbo puts out 450hp, which is more than the 5th Gen Camaro came out back in 2010. Now, is it 700+ horse power compared to the Hellcat? Of course not. That said we’re talking a second generation half ton truck that has been tested in the Baja. At this point, Ram can’t make that claim. I’ve watched a ton of the TRX reviews now on YouTube, and I’m glad to see Ram offered a test course featuring jumps and rock crawling. The reviewers are absolutely correct for being excited with the new TRX.

I’m not sure Ford is “getting their ass handed to them” as you say. This is simply the next step in competition, which is a good thing. Now we wait and see how Ford responds.

KAH24 likes this.
  4. KAH24

KAH24 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I understand, but would like to accurately capture your point of view:

1. You like FCA pickup trucks.
    2. You don’t like the 3.5L TT HO Ecoboost.
    3. You have empirically concluded that “nobody” wanted the Ecoboost.
    4. You are an “enthusiast” and didn’t appreciate having something jammed down your throat.
    5. And to top it off, you have full access on someone’s mom.

Competition is good and to each his/her own.

Personally, 450 HP/510lb-ft TQ is enough for me. Given the price difference between the Raptor and TRX, I’d hope that the TRX would win a comparison.

I will enjoy my terrible 2nd place loser truck and please enjoy your 1st place TRX.

quikag, tomcruise, taco-13 and 8 others like this.
  5. GordoJay

GordoJay Full Access Member

Except he doesn't have one of those, either. I wouldn't trade straight across, my used 2020 for a brand-new TRX. If that makes me a loser in the eyes of that clown, it means that I'm probably doing something right. :D

JoeSC, cdodgela, Mike O and 1 other person like this.
  6. hj_s14

hj_s14 Full Access Member

I don’t know about the others but for me the exterior of the Ram is so ugly and I wouldn’t buy it even if it’s $50k .

looks at the exteriors of the raptor, its body line, the front end , sides , look so good. That’s one of the key factor I bought the damn truck lol and can give a rats ass if it’s v8 or v6 :)

RotorHead695, JoeSC, cdodgela and 9 others like this.
  7. 19Stripper

19Stripper Member

Yeah... the FCA fan boys will enjoy their 6 months of the fastest offroad truck. Then ford will top them again and the FCA crybabies will still scream MOPAR like that even exists anymore.

My Rap was 54k brand new off the lot.
    Find a TRX even remotely close to that.

I'll wait.

MyRaptorLife, KingKoopa17 and ItsAMe like this.
  8. REMIX

REMIX Full Access Member

Did they really have to “go there” with the dinosaur reference? Seems kind of petty. They could have called it the HellRam or something.

Winchester30 likes this.
  9. isis

isis Full Access Member

No SCAB no want.

Eric10, Stroked out, cyberdnk and 2 others like this.
  10. ItsAMe

ItsAMe Full Access Member

Exactly, though recent rumors seem to point to a SCAB version still planned.