Buying Used advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Penukoko

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking for my first Raptor.

Unfortunately, 2017's are ruled out as every dealership I've contact is charging at least $7,000 over MSRP. Unless you know of any that will deal?

So, I'm looking at Used. As far as I can tell there are no major differences between the 2013-2014 models (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm looking at Carmax and finding a few out there, though for anything 50k miles or less the options are limited and still pricey, as expected.

So, first question- 2013 or 2014?

Second, if you take a look at what's currently out there for Used Raptors of those years on carmax's website, are those prices reasonable considering the current demand and inflated prices on new Raptors?

I like Carmax because of the warranty and no hassle... I also think that any Used Raptors that show up on a Dealerships lot as "Certified" will be even more expensive.

If I could find or order a new one for 60k or less I'd go that route, but as far as I can tell I'm stuck with Used for that price range. Looks like for decent mileage Raptors I'm looking at 45-55k.

Also- do you foresee the 2018's getting closer to invoice or at least msrp? Do you think these 2013-2014's are still a good buy and will hold value? It won't be a daily driver.

Thoughts, comments, concerns? Thanks for your time and advice!!

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been struggling with this same question. I am waiting to order an 18, unless some cpo steal on a 14 comes along before then. I will not spend 50k on a vehicle and not have the drivetrain warrantied by the OEM, but that is me, ymmv.

Reality is if Ford turns up the production, these values will fall. In light of Fords latest stock blip, increasing production of profitable vehicles is not out of the question.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to frf.
Good luck with your search, patience is your friend on your Raptor search. You will learn much by searching through frf grasshopper.

sidelock

Reaction score
OK, this may or not be of any value to you but I'll pass it along. Just saw a loaded black '14 1st time at a local dealer. Wait for it ... 7,000 miles on it. They want $57k.
Bob Thomas Ford, Dixwell ave., Hamden, Ct

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for a SCAB or SCREW? Assuming the answer is SCREW, I think you're going to have a tough time finding a new '17 for 60k (even at MSRP) since most will have the lux package and/or a few other options pushing the sticker price to 65k-70k.

You should be able to find a lightly used '13 or '14 for 45k-50k which saves you some money that can be used for mods.

EDIT:

Since it's not a daily driver, look for a '14 with around 50k miles. That will get you the most bang for your buck and you can catch up on the mileage.

You will likely need to get the shocks rebuilt or just upgrade if that's your end goal.

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends. Do you care for extending the warranty, or plan to do engine mods that would void the powertrain section?

Could go with a certified one from Ford which gives you the option to get the Premium ESP even if the 3/36k expired.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/raptor-changes-year-year-15443/
Here's the differences between a 13/14.

Eventually they will decline at a normal rate. Especially as the upcoming 18's and 19's come out. Prices should calm down on the Gen 2's, which will drop the 13's/14's. Time will tell though.
Buying used will have some up front maintenance costs, #1 being the shocks being serviced. Then of course making sure the diff's aren't milky(water) and changing the transfer case fluid.

OP
OP
P

Penukoko

Reaction score
Thanks all! I ended up picking up a 14 SCREW in tuxedo black/blue interior accents with all the bells and whistles, at 55k miles, for 46k. From Carmax, and I'm doing the extended warranty 5 years/150k miles, it's pro rated so I can cancel or transfer if needed or if I decide to mod. Can't wait for it to get here!

At some point I'll trade up for a Used 17-18... but I do wonder if the 6.2 V8 might be more desirable to some buyers in the future, depending on engine issues with the V6... who knows. I'm also ok with keeping it a long time. Thanks again for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

45f0eb5ed21a23f3b36ee5da797acd0e.jpg97c5399db9c2855a413b16c91cf0d3b2.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Not sure how I feel about the hood graphics...

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!
I picked up my 2013 ox white raptor about a year and a half ago for $50k with 11,000 miles.
I'm glad I didn't hold out till the 2017! Talk about sticker shock And I never could see myself laying $65k+ for a new one!
Good looking truck!

OP
OP
P

Penukoko

Reaction score
Congrats!
I picked up my 2013 ox white raptor about a year and a half ago for $50k with 11,000 miles.
I'm glad I didn't hold out till the 2017! Talk about sticker shock And I never could see myself laying $65k+ for a new one!
Good looking truck!

Thanks bro!