Buying out of state

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about to pull the trigger on buying a new Raptor from an out of state ( Virginia)dealership and shipping to California. I asked about smog and he said it’s all good for California, just wondering if there is anything I should be asking or looking out for when the truck arrives. It’s my first time buying out of state and not sure if there is a process I have to go through when the truck arrives.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about to pull the trigger on buying a new Raptor from an out of state ( Virginia)dealership and shipping to California. I asked about smog and he said it’s all good for California, just wondering if there is anything I should be asking or looking out for when the truck arrives. It’s my first time buying out of state and not sure if there is a process I have to go through when the truck arrives.
Check under hood for California emissions sticker because when you try to register it, the DMW will look for that sticker.

I would also make sure window sticker says California emissions on the options section

DDP

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't know about CA smog,but bought my raptor in Missouri and was shipping to Oregon,
just get minor delay in shipping but CA is easier(truck was stock 3 days in SFO)
paid $ 800 in shipping but got $ 6 000 off,so i put in my pocket difference and was a super cab.
i was a little worry but every thing go very smooth.when you get delivery you will walk around to sign form everything is ok.
you can ask for a courtesy delivery?

Raptor.jpg

OP
OP
Wrong Way

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the window sticker and it says California emissions - no charge. They are trying to sell me on the extended warranty which I was expecting, his final price was 4K for for extended warranty and service warranty for 7 years or 100k miles and 100% is covered, anyone with experience with them or should I pass?

Terp

Reaction score
Window sticker should say California emissions somewhere. If not I would be concerned. Virginia has not adopted California emissions and actually is one of like 16 states trying to stop the strict new EPA standards so I wouldn't trust the salesman on this one.

Cerebus

Reaction score
I checked the window sticker and it says California emissions - no charge. They are trying to sell me on the extended warranty which I was expecting, his final price was 4K for for extended warranty and service warranty for 7 years or 100k miles and 100% is covered, anyone with experience with them or should I pass?

Check Flood Ford for a price comparison on the two warranties.

STHenry

Reaction score
All Raptors come with CA emissions. We looked into buying a truck out of state a couple of years ago and verified that all of the new Raptors meet the CA emission standard.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way too much on the additional warranty, the add-warranties are almost pure profit, so they're skinning you.
Watch for excess doc fees as well.
CA is going to want several things from you:
A smog cert since picking up your truck
A weight cert from a licensed weighmaster (truck stop)
A DMV inspection prior to registration
Full CA sales tax
Full registration fees
Certificate of origin from Dealer - looks like a pink slip/title
All applications fully filled out

Good luck!
I bought my 2018 SCREW in Kansas City, MO - great deal!