Buying aftermarket warranty l?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2017-19 super crew , budget is around 65k , would like to see 20-40k miles on it. Question is with so many posts about cam phasers and other expensive repairs is it worth buying one? And if so I’m guessing you would need the premium coverage for at least 84 months 100k miles cause if it starts from truck date on a 18 that’s years into it and really you just get 3 years coverage. Any thoughts ? Used market and mark up prices over msrp on raptors new and used drive me crazy. Really has me looking at a nice lariat and then adding @ 2.5 fox camburg kit with wheels and tires myself , I would get higher towing rating too that route ……..

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The warranty companies are in business to make money. Their algorithms are pretty proven and you have a small chance of "winning" so to speak.

Very much like gambling, the house has all the odd in their favor.

I deal warranty companies almost daily. The shit I have seen would boggle your mind. I don't gamble, I understand the risks and accept them.

But if you insist I would recommend a company called Autto. They are amazing to work with, BUT there are caveats to that recommendation. If interested PM me and I can give more information

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford Extended cam phaser repair coverage on trucks that got the reprogramming, so there’s that. You can check the carfax or repair history to see if phasers were replaced, likely a stealership could tell you right down to the parts used. Issue was resolved in .... early 2019? and later built trucks. Not all trucks even had the issue.

If you go for an aftermarket warranty, be prepared for a fight as phasers are an expensive and labor intensive repair.

If you’re that concerned about it and cannot take the hit for that repair, the Ford ESP is worlds better than aftermarket warranties if you are able to get it. Flood Ford and Ziegler Ford will sell them at cost.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2017-19 super crew , budget is around 65k , would like to see 20-40k miles on it. Question is with so many posts about cam phasers and other expensive repairs is it worth buying one? And if so I’m guessing you would need the premium coverage for at least 84 months 100k miles cause if it starts from truck date on a 18 that’s years into it and really you just get 3 years coverage. Any thoughts ? Used market and mark up prices over msrp on raptors new and used drive me crazy. Really has me looking at a nice lariat and then adding @ 2.5 fox camburg kit with wheels and tires myself , I would get higher towing rating too that route ……..
Stick with Ford Protect and a Raptor if you can afford it.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Raptor if you're towing often. If you do get a Raptor, try to get one that is still under factory warranty and then reach out Flood or Zeigler for their ESP warranty.

It's a crap shoot on warranties but it's also piece of mind.

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Raptor if you're towing often. If you do get a Raptor, try to get one that is still under factory warranty and then reach out Flood or Zeigler for their ESP warranty.

It's a crap shoot on warranties but it's also piece of mind.
Max I would be towing would be 4000lb Tt or 3500lb boat , nothing bigger than 22’

Raptormts

Reaction score
Purchased my 18 SC from Carmax 10 months ago. Extended to 120K mile warranty. Covered replacement of camera control unit at a Ford dealer for $800 without any difficulty. Dealer took care of all paperwork. While it was there, they replaced the Cam Phasers and the two addl. recalls. After tire rotation and oil change I paid about $200. Warranty was about $1600.