Buying a used Raptor sight unseen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sombra

Reaction score
cars.com is a good one and so is autotrader.com. Also, the way I found mine (going to pick it up tomorrow!) was by punching in new and used Raptors in the search function.

I thought I wanted just a new one but by looking at used also I found basically the exact truck I wanted with really low miles and a good price, thousands less. Call it an "almost new" truck.

I had a specific color and options in mind and the new 14s I looked at and contacted dealers about either were priced really high or were already sold.

Also, there is ebay, worth a look

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Oh, to the OP, I am not REALLY buying sight unseen. I will look at it tomorrow closely before we do the deal.

However, I believe I would buy sight unseen under certain circumstances, and with the 7 day return vehicle option

OP
OP
J

Jens69

Reaction score
First thank you everyone for your replies and input!

I agree cars.com and autotrader.com are great places to search. We found this one on autotrader. I'm surprised ebay doesn't have more but I guess with the Raptors dealers don't need it. New would be great but we decided awhile ago that the savings on a low mileage used one was worth it. Trailer for the Camaro is next on the list.

We got more pictures. Interior looks flawless but the truck is dirty and it is snowing so hard to be certain of the rest. Small dealership, small town North Dakota in winter so they don't bother with much detailing. We decided to pass but then they came back with a lower price so we are rethinking. Hard choice, we would have it shipped so it would be a done deal sight unseen but it really has everything he wanted and more.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 139

MNWILKO

Reaction score
That looks really clean. From MN and have seen a lot of vehicles destroyed in a short time from salt but we have had a really mild couple of winters which means less salt exposure. This truck is like brand new and is not a bad price. I wouldn't hesitate at all. There isn't a bad raptor out there and to find one with everything you want. I would be hesitant as well with sight un seen but.. Read dealer reviews. IF they are straight shooting and compliant I would go for it.

As far as exhaust rust and small things like that goes don't be worried. My old man bought his black screw in 2011 and 4 months later it looked exactly the same. Its just a good excuse to buy a 100% ss exhaust. Good Luck! if its close to fargo I could have a buddy with a raptor check it out for you.

Last edited:

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, Welcome!

When I bought mine it was a very similar situation except the dealer was local. One owner and traded in to where it was originally purchased. The kicker for me was the fact that it was Ford pre-owned certified with the 7yr/100k warranty. Maybe if you have them on the fence, you could negotiate that. I don't know what it takes for them to do that but it might be worth a try if you feel they are at their bottom dollar. When I felt they wouldn't move any more on the numbers, I negotiated my ARE bed cover.

Best of luck whatever you decide and we are looking forward to having you both in the community.

Oh, and you are required to post pics of the Camaro. :)

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's that cold up there, I doubt they spent any time underneath trying to clean up the large amounts of dirt that would be everywhere from offroading. Looks pretty good underneath. My 2014 had 11 miles on it and was less than two weeks old when I picked it up and it pretty much had just as much rust under there.

Ford Dearborn plant had a special undercarriage salt spray as trucks rolled out the door. Rumor is that the engineers wanted it removed when they reworked the plant for the 2015s, but the execs may have retained it for nostalgia and loyalty to brand history.

To me, the price is high, but if it's something you want now, I suppose the supply is getting more limited. I think used prices will drop next year though, when the 2017s are ready to roll.

OP
OP
J

Jens69

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies! Nice to know there is an active forum with many helpful members. The input on the pictures is reassuring and we have reached a deal. $53,250 with a whopping $104 in dealer fees. It has the 801a, moonroof, tailgate step, interior with blue accents, front and rear camera, bead lock wheels and hood and side graphics. We still have to ship it but the dealer is assisting with that and the cost is very reasonable.

We decided we didn't want a 2017 so that got us in the market now. Hard part now will be waiting for it.

Pictures as requested. Can't wait to see them together, a true beauty and the beast.

Attachments

• Frosty2.jpg
    Frosty2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Frosty.jpg
    Frosty.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 172

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Congrats on pulling the trigger! You're going to love it. Look to the column on the right, we have a great list of sponsors who will be able to take great care of you. I've personally dealt with 13 of them so far, plus a handful of members on purchases!