Buying a Trailer for the first Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesposito

Reaction score
So, I will be buying a trailer for the first time for my ATV/UTV. I have zero experience with trailers. All I know is how big of a trailer I need - given the dimensions of my ATV/UTV. I have no idea what hardware I need. I have read through the forum and see that I most likely need to purchase a bar with a ball hitch. I'm not sure how much of a drop I need the bar hitch to be - how does one measure/determine that before buying the actual trailer? I plan on going to a store that "specializes" in trailers so I am hoping that they will be able to set me up with everything that I need. I just want to go in prepared - any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Double/tandem axle! Single axles tend to bounce and fishtail on the freeway over the smallest of bumps. Double axles are much less likely to do that. What kind of trailer are we talking now? flatbed, enclosed, toyhauler?

OP
OP
mesposito

mesposito

Reaction score
Sorry - single axle (probably 5x8), flatbed - I am only planning on loading my ATV which is 93x46. Just something real basic. I have seen them for sale at Lowes, etc. for $400-800.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and go with a double axle with brakes. Blowing an tire on a single axle sucks because you HAVE to pull over immediately and change it. At least with a double axle you can limp along for a bit before ruining your wheel. I am even putting double axles on my enclosed motorcycle trailer. At the same time you get the added security of piece of mind that you can load more shit in it if you want without blowing tires.

Also, you want 10ply radial tires and a mount on the trailer for your spare tire. On top of that, if you get a trailer with a double axle you can get this:

o-sXRwdF_abgDA3lTfJEmhSsictXI3rwTizZQbd3oZ9G6R4liIdGEIQJhTpV13Wo7101Z4lRSA2yWiKGTeygdhaSma-K41XnjbKISVB2ZYk6fZN8ZBdVxEvyr7AysMAs7cZFB3Z5Ri_uWyvZBkdu1hWAifNJ8en_iHsZtvbPkQveoX6Z-_Bn-KVkeiHzpT1sMg

5 minutes and you are done changing the tire.

Last edited:

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Listen to what everyone else has said. I despise single axle trailers and they're even worse when someone doesn't know what they're doing. If you get the weight too far back, you'll end up with terrible (and dangrous) trailer sway. You also have to tow them much slower to be safe.

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of the above^^^^^. Wisdom is the ability to listen to experience. Given if the dual axle is pricing you out of range a bit, I would wait it out and save a few more paychecks myself understandably. You also with a little research find a really good used one on ebay or the locals. Aluminum trailers do not age that much either. Thats the route I would lean to.