Buying a Raptor tomorrow!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slodoc07

Reaction score
Hello everyone, tomorrow morning i will be driving about 8-9 hours from Pismo Beach Ca to Scottsdale Az to pick up my first Raptor. Its a 2019 with just over 3,000 miles on it. after reading some of these threads i'm getting a little nervous hearing about cam phaser and irregular oil consumption issuesand possibly more. I'm not a mechanic but i am somewhat mechanically inclined. Can anyone give me ideas of what to look for to keep myself from investing in a possible nightmare?

Thanks in advance, Tristan

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice is as long as the truck checks out, enjoy the buying experience you’re about to embark on, enjoy the truck, and don’t worry about potential issues because they aren’t going to show up on a 3,000 mile example anyway. Congrats!

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
First, congrats!

You can get a 7yr 100k warranty for $1260 from Floodford: https://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_pl...2=0&Surcharge5=0&Surcharge3=0&Submit=Continue

(I am not 100% you can do this as non-original owner... I thought you could, but I have no information to concretely back that up...so don't believe me, check with them)

And I thought I'd heard cam phasers were resolved mid-2018...though that could be wishful BS.

OP
OP
Slodoc07

Slodoc07

Reaction score
My advice is as long as the truck checks out, enjoy the buying experience you’re about to embark on, enjoy the truck, and don’t worry about potential issues because they aren’t going to show up on a 3,000 mile example anyway. Congrats!
First, congrats!

You can get a 7yr 100k warranty for $1260 from Floodford: https://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_pl...2=0&Surcharge5=0&Surcharge3=0&Submit=Continue

(I am not 100% you can do this as non-original owner... I thought you could, but I have no information to concretely back that up...so don't believe me, check with them)

And I thought I'd heard cam phasers were resolved mid-2018...though that could be wishful BS.

Thank you gentleman, i feel a little more at ease haha. I have no idea what truck years experience the cam phaser issues so if youve heard that it was eradicated in trucks 2019+, that makes me very happy to hear. Also droid, i'll definately look into that extended warranty.

Thanks again gents, cheers!

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford definitely ramped up production on the gen 2 raptor and unfortunately that ramped up some bad apples. It’s worth the risk because you have the warranty. If it gives you problems move on. Fun times ahead congratulations

RICHARD A CUGNO

Streetrodder
Reaction score

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Best bet, unless you have a strong stomach, stay off the forums for a while and enjoy your truck. There are folks waiting in the wings to get into your head. I am sure the Raptor is not without issue, but it's probably statistically similar to any other make, pick your poison.

It should have a 50 or 60k engine warranty, go enjoy it.

RICHARD A CUGNO

Streetrodder
Reaction score
Buying a 2019 with 3000 depends on the price. I just bought my 2020 Super Crew 800A for $51,900. I can’t believe what an awesome truck, Ford got it right on the Raptors! Good luck, keep in mind all auto manufacturers sales are down and they’re looking to move inventory. Take your time and make a good informed decision.