Buying a high mileage raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Do take your time. Documented owners and the maintenance performed in high mileage vehicles are probably most important. If the price is right and it has what you want then consider it. If it seems like you have to ask questions over and over and second guess it. Move on and look for others to buy. There will be more!
The only reason I’m second guessing it, everyone is making it out to be a stupid idea to buy a higher mileage raptor. I don’t necessarily think that’s the case but I wanted to see what the raptor experts thought lol

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only reason I’m second guessing it, everyone is making it out to be a stupid idea to buy a higher mileage raptor. I don’t necessarily think that’s the case but I wanted to see what the raptor experts thought lol
Obviously it would be better to buy a low mileage one, but they demand almost twice the money. There are a couple low mileage supercharged raptors on here for sale currently, way north of 40k. I suggest that you look here in the FOR SALE section to compare what you are currently looking at outside of the forum.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting close to 150k (all supercharged). No issues. Change the oil on time (or slightly before, depending on environmental and driving conditions), perform maintenance and the setup should last well beyond the mileage on either of those vehicles. If you can verify the maintenance, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase either. I’d go for the newer of the two for the reasons other posters have mentioned.

Last edited:

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a '14 Special edition, first year for Ruby Red on a Raptor (other models had it, but not Raptors.) SE also came in Tuxedo Black. The obvious way to tell if it's SE is by the 2 color seats; brick red on both. My original sticker showed $59,045 before taxes (available from MonroneyLabels.com with your vin # for $7.99). I'm not sure what the '11 cost but I'll bet it was cheaper. I paid $31,995 last year with 136K on it. Fuse27 was the only issue and corrected for $30. My decision was based on the Carfax which showed regular oil changes, differential fluid changes, transfer case oil changes. I also talked to the 2nd owner of the vehicle after the sale (his name was on the title and a google search got me a phone #.) I bought it online from a dealer who bought it at auction. Risky enough?

Last edited:

M60gunr

Reaction score
What’s up everyone. I had a 2012 Ford raptor a few years ago that got totaled out. I am able to buy a 2014 raptor with 150k miles for 28k or a 2011 with 120k miles for 29. I was wondering if it’s even smart to buy a raptor with that high of mileage and if I should just go for the 11. Both are loaded, both crew cabs. The 14 is the dark maroon red and the 11 is white. Are there even any significant differences between the years??
Is the 2014 the 5.4 or 6.2? I have the 6.2 and just recently decided to cancel my order for a 2022 and keep my Gen 1. I LOVE my 2014 and would take that engine over the ecoboost all day long. But, some may feel otherwise. Just my personal opinion. If the vehicle was well maintained and taken care of, you could get plenty more miles out of it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the 2014 the 5.4 or 6.2? I have the 6.2 and just recently decided to cancel my order for a 2022 and keep my Gen 1. I LOVE my 2014 and would take that engine over the ecoboost all day long. But, some may feel otherwise. Just my personal opinion. If the vehicle was well maintained and taken care of, you could get plenty more miles out of it.
The 5.4 was only available very early on in the production of the 2010's only. This was because Ford had that motor available for the early trucks in 2009 and the 6.2 wasn't ready for early release until about March of 2010.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up everyone. I had a 2012 Ford raptor a few years ago that got totaled out. I am able to buy a 2014 raptor with 150k miles for 28k or a 2011 with 120k miles for 29. I was wondering if it’s even smart to buy a raptor with that high of mileage and if I should just go for the 11. Both are loaded, both crew cabs. The 14 is the dark maroon red and the 11 is white. Are there even any significant differences between the years??
The biggest difference in my opinion is the 14 doesn't have transmission downshift issue and the frame is beefed up. 2014 is supposed to be the best Gen1 ever.

M60gunr

Reaction score
The 5.4 was only available very early on in the production of the 2010's only. This was because Ford had that motor available for the early trucks in 2009 and the 6.2 wasn't ready for early release until about March of 2010.
I thought for some reason it was an option when I ordered my 2014. Maybe I am mistaken. I obviously wanted the 6.2 regardless. This engine has been great!

Steven_Born

Reaction score
I understand completely when buying any vehicle let alone a beast such as the Raptor. I bought my 2010 SCab with ~182k miles on it. It was a one owner and I was able to go to the dealer and pull all the maintenance records for the truck. I have now owned the truck for a little less than 2 years and it now has over 203k on it and is still going strong. As others have stated, go for the one owner and especially one that you can verify the maintenance on the ride.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 was my first Raptor and I chose it because the beefed up frame under the bump stops. The cooled seats and the HDI headlights. No reason you can’t take it to 250k. Spend a few hundred on changing all the fluids. Take note of each one before it gets disposed to get an idea if the axles been under water, or if there is metal in the transmission or smells burnt, or if the coolant is gummy and so forth. And those will be tell tells of what to expect. Come back and post pictures.

Attachments

• 068759EB-023C-4C17-B1DD-59CE9ED4DADF.jpeg
    068759EB-023C-4C17-B1DD-59CE9ED4DADF.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 300199F5-B509-4776-B965-A6FE1FF0B317.jpeg
    300199F5-B509-4776-B965-A6FE1FF0B317.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 6