Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Buying a boat help?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by CoronaRaptor, Aug 5, 2020.

1. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

B ust
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand

BroncoAZ and CoronaRaptor like this.
  2. jintro

jintro Member

I just finished restoring a 27 year old Baja Islander that sat unused for the last few years, 18 footer with the 4.3 motor. Boats that sit wind up presenting a myriad of unseen issues. First priority is to drain and thoroughly clean every part of the fuel system. Next would be to check all the rubber parts in the outdrive, as previously mentioned. Plan on replacing the water pump in the lower unit - just do it, it’s cheap insurance. My advice would be if you aren’t capable of doing all the work yourself, do some research for avg cost of maintenance and factor that into your cost of ownership. If you pay other people to work on your boat it will add up quickly.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  3. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

Well, I put a deposit down on it, she's in pristine condition, the seller is taking me out in it tomorrow and if everything is tickity boo, I will give him the rest. Bonus is the guy is a FORD fanatic, has a mustang in his garage with the motor and tranny out of it, rebuilding it, and he drives an f150 as well. SO he has to be trustworthy :rolleyes:

f150jack likes this.
  4. SilverBolt

SilverBolt Hired Gun

Have it inspected by a marine mechanic inspect the boat. What brand is the outdrive? Assuming Mercury. MAke sure that the gimbal bearing is good and no leaks. On the motor get the water pump impeller is good. These should be replaced annually. Look at the prop for any damage. Look at the keel for wear and damage. If the boat is beached regularly it will be obvious. Definitely do a sea trial (test drive). Pay attention to how the owner operates the boat. Is he banging gears between reverse and forward? Does he run into the dock? It will give you an idea of how it has been treated.

5. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

*UPDATE* Went for a joy ride on the lake today, the boat ran okay, but the stereo, lights don't work. Was suspicious about why he had the battery disconnected at first before he started it. (possible drain issue). Told him I wanted to get the boat inspected. At first he agreed. He went to drop the boat off at the marina for the inspection (to be done a couple days later) and then called me saying, he wanted to sell the boat today and would give me another $500 bucks off. I said no, as the marina even said "don't buy that boat without a through inspection", just like many of you fine gents told me. Anyway, I'm still looking for a boat!! Now waiting for him to e-transfer my god damn deposit back.

SilverBolt and cayenne like this.
  6. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Full Access Member

Sounds like you dodged a bullet...

f150jack and CoronaRaptor like this.
  7. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

Yes, I just don't know enough about boats to spend that kind of $$. I hate to admit it, but a guy can't know everything.

8. Frogger22

Frogger22 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

All I know about personally owning a boat is a few of my Navy buddies in San Diego shared the cost of a boat among them and they still complained about how expensive it was all the time. And they also rarely used it and realized for way less money and worries they could just rent a boat whenever they desired.

If I were to ever personally do a boat I’d do a catamaran sailboat. Freaking love those things to death!

9. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

That is what I have been doing, spending $1000 a day once in awhile to rent a boat. Nothing is cheap.

10. 04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi It's Just a Username

I’ve grown up on Flathead Lake and can’t imagine life without a boat. We currently have a 21ft Starcraft Pontoon Boat, and we average 25hrs a season (2nd week in June through mid September). What boggles my mind is the money people spend on $100,000 plus ski/wake board boats. I was at the local boat shop the other day and they had a 20ft Cobalt Open Bow for $88,000. The best part is you could put 10% down and finance the rest for 20 years at 5.99% with a payment north of $500. Who the hell is financing a boat for 20 years???

SilverBolt likes this.