Buyers Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnBronco

Reaction score
Hey,

New to the forum, first post! I'm looking at buying a Gen 2 Raptor, anything in particular I need to look for problemwise? I want a CCSB (my bad if thats the wrong term, coming from the superduty world) 802a. I'm a Bronco guy primarily, I've got a 67 and a 22 Badlands. Wanted a Raptor for the longest time and now that I don't tow as much as I used to I think its finally time. Thanks!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what a CCSB is. 2017 and 2018 don’t have electronic shocks. Most of those years also have a plastic oil pan. I have a plastic pan but it’s given me zero issues so far. You will want to see if the cam phasers were ever replaced as well.

OP
OP
JohnBronco

JohnBronco

Reaction score
CCSB (Crew Cab Short Bed), guess all of these are short beds anyway. Just started reading about cam phasers, is there a build date when the factory started installing the updated phasers? Or do all of the Gen 2's need to have them done? I saw a few threads about the sunroofs being an issue, I think I'll try to find one without a sunroof... probably difficult since I'm looking for an 802a

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CCSB (Crew Cab Short Bed), guess all of these are short beds anyway. Just started reading about cam phasers, is there a build date when the factory started installing the updated phasers? Or do all of the Gen 2's need to have them done? I saw a few threads about the sunroofs being an issue, I think I'll try to find one without a sunroof... probably difficult since I'm looking for an 802a
Sunroof is really not an issue if you perform some periodic lubing of the seals. Also, if it does ******, it is pretty damn easy to replace the broken tracks with new ones - I just did that a few weeks back, was easy peasy. I think the new phaser part was put into production sometime in mid 2019, not sure the exact date though, maybe @FordTechOne remembers? Also remember, the phasers should be under warranty still, something you will want to check, and if they are, having them replaced is sort of a regular thing these days so I wouldn't sweat that too much either but definitely inquire about the status. Not all trucks have the issue even with the known phaser part that is prone to fail.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

New to the forum, first post! I'm looking at buying a Gen 2 Raptor, anything in particular I need to look for problemwise? I want a CCSB (my bad if thats the wrong term, coming from the superduty world) 802a. I'm a Bronco guy primarily, I've got a 67 and a 22 Badlands. Wanted a Raptor for the longest time and now that I don't tow as much as I used to I think its finally time. Thanks!
Alright. I would look for any damage to the skid plates, excessive dirt on the shocks, abnormal wear on the tires for the mileage, aftermarket items (can tell if kinda beaten off road), check if 4x4 system shifts fine, make sure it starts up fine without abnormal clicking sounds. Just a short list.

OP
OP
JohnBronco

JohnBronco

Reaction score
Sunroof is really not an issue if you perform some periodic lubing of the seals. Also, if it does ******, it is pretty damn easy to replace the broken tracks with new ones - I just did that a few weeks back, was easy peasy. I think the new phaser part was put into production sometime in mid 2019, not sure the exact date though, maybe @FordTechOne remembers? Also remember, the phasers should be under warranty still, something you will want to check, and if they are, having them replaced is sort of a regular thing these days so I wouldn't sweat that too much either but definitely inquire about the status. Not all trucks have the issue even with the known phaser part that is prone to fail.
Saw your thread, didn't look too bad of a job to do
Alright. I would look for any damage to the skid plates, excessive dirt on the shocks, abnormal wear on the tires for the mileage, aftermarket items (can tell if kinda beaten off road), check if 4x4 system shifts fine, make sure it starts up fine without abnormal clicking sounds. Just a short list.
Very helpful, thanks. I seem to remember a thread on SVTperformance.com a few years ago where a gen 1 had the frame bent enough to open up the gap between the bed and the body, haven't seen that recently though...
I prefer a supercab because they look better but if is going to be his everyday driver get a supercrew. If it is his daily driver and it is just his daily driver get a SuperCab.
Yeah, can't get away from the Super Crew, I've got kiddos... I'll lose my mind if their feet reach the back of my seat since they're in car seats. Get where you're coming from though. Had a super cab F250 as my first truck before kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20