GEN 2 Buyback options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've gone round and round with Ford and have finally gotten to the point of buyback.. now that the truck has 20k on the clock.

I was wanting to get some opinions about witch one would be better,or if it's a negotiation and I should push for a different deal.
Any insight is appreciated, Thanks
Screenshot_20191025-101307_Gmail.jpg Screenshot_20191025-101314_Gmail.jpg

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
option 1...... i assume you paid close to sticker for your truck when new.......so if they sell to you at a discount.....in theory.....you should come out a few thousand ahead....and reset the clock with a brand new zero mile ford.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It will depend slightly on what your intent is after the “transaction” is completed.

I think there may be tax implications for option 1 ( correct ? ) check on that.

option 1 gets you free of any loan(s) on the vehicle, ideally with some cash left over to go forth and replace with what you want. Typically, the manufacturer wants you to go with option 2. it’s simpler for them, and keeps you in the customer family so to speak.

Both are going to sound nicer at first than when your final numbers are in. Both will be slightly worse than you could conceivably do in a successful lawsuit, however a suit would include every, single, solitary expense you incur including time. It also takes a LOT longer to conclude and there’s always a chance at trial that you lose. You’d almost certainly get a settlement offer along the way but put that aside for now.

Is it your thought that you might
replace old Raptor with new one?
replace old Raptor with a different Ford car or truck?

I note option 2 specifically says your outlay is only the difference between the 2 respective MSRP. If you go for another Rap, that simply give you a newer vehicle for the same, existing outlay, you only come up with the difference. If I went this way I’d push them to cover it with an ESP or significantly discount an ESP.

If you’re not interested in another Ford, option 1 is the ticket. Note the “minus usage” clause. It will depend on when they consider the usage issue to be invoked. In a lawsuit, it’s typically from the first report of the problem, presumably Ford will also do this, so if you began reporting the issue at 10,000 miles, that’s the usage you’re on the hook for.

You should crunch some numbers for option 1 to see how you will make out. If for example you’re upside down or financed nearly all of the truck, option 2 might make a better deal in some few circumstances.

good luck

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the lemon laws in AZ. And I don’t know if you traded in a vehicle when you purchased this one. When I went the lemon law route with my Grand Cherokee in Florida they had to either return my trade-in (never going to happen, they’ve been resold long before then), or pay you full blue book/NADA value at the time you traded your vehicle. If you traded in a vehicle, pull up the NADA book that was current at the time of trade and go in armed with that number. In my case they had to cut a check for the several thousand dollar difference between what they gave me and what the book value was.

All that is assuming the AZ lemon law rules are the same as FL.

Good luck!

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a lawyer when they bought back my Ford car. I got every single cent I put into that thing back. Down payment, all payments made, any aftermarket stuff I had receipts for, all services I paid for, the registrations I paid for, plus time for the weeks and weeks it was down. I came out dead even like I never paid one penny. The lawyer even added her fee in.

OP
OP
MEATSWORD

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I'm having a hard time wanting a new raptor because of the treatment I've received from Ford lol.

I started reporting an issue at 4000 miles when it would slip in the morning.(checked level and was low like 2qrts)
Next major time was at 8000 the transmission was smoking and slipping needed "reprogramming"
So on and so on.

I'm surprised that Ford wouldn't just replace the transmission like asked for(I guess buybacks make them more money lol)

As far as usage fee I came up with something stupid like 15k.
Not sure if I did the math right or not but 15k to own a pos Sounds a bit steep.

hj_s14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suggestion, get a lawyer whoever experience with lemon law. You may spend typically anywhere between $500 minimum up to $1500 or slightly more but they'll get the best scenario and most of your $$ back