GEN 1 Buy stock or modified?

Stock or modified

• Stock

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Modified

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cristian

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many many Raptors out there that have never been off-roaded. If you’re looking at a rig that’s already been modded, I would be real careful to make sure it was done right. You have no way of really knowing who did the work, unless receipts are provided.

Whichever way you go, I’d make sure to spend a good half hour under the truck with a flashlight looking for the signs of the truck being thrashed. There’s too many pristine ones available to go paying high dollar for one that’s been beat on.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many many Raptors out there that have never been off-roaded. If you’re looking at a rig that’s already been modded, I would be real careful to make sure it was done right. You have no way of really knowing who did the work, unless receipts are provided.

Whichever way you go, I’d make sure to spend a good half hour under the truck with a flashlight looking for the signs of the truck being thrashed. There’s too many pristine ones available to go paying high dollar for one that’s been beat on.

Absolutely agree. I’ve always been the type to do my own work. Partly because I don’t like paying labor fees and partly because I don’t trust everyone working on my truck. Take what Jonny V. said and also keep in mind someone modified it for a reason other than just driving it on the streets.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a modified raptor in Louisiana.

I'm from Louisiana and drive a heavily modified raptor.

If I ever do sell it, I hope the prospective buyers see it being "broken in" as something that adds value, but I seriously doubt that.

That being said, 99% of the people that modify their raptor, never actually use it to the point that they "needed" those mods. If its been a street queen and has mods, as long as maintenance was done and the truck was loved, it shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially if you love the truck.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time under the truck with a flashlight is how you suss these things out. Look for a pattern of scrapes, gouges, rubs, all hopefully going from front to back. Wrinkles in the metal, welded repair spots, anything out of the ordinary. Idiots will zip tie shit that should be worm clamped and so forth.

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first link looks like the mods a raptor would want.
Fox 3.0, wheels/tires ect. check it out and drive it, and check the maintenance log...
If you know a good tuner you can also have them scan it for any codes or recent changes to the PCM.

alveolartrill

Reaction score
I agree with the comments above. Both trucks have 3.0 modifications, one with Fox and the other with Icons. It's a matter of preference what mods are you planning to get eventually.

I would talk to the owners and do some research on how little or a lot the truck has been abused.

Stock or modified can't really tell you the condition of the truck. I have seen stock trucks on Baja California Runs and also modified trucks that don't really see the dirt.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, that really depends. Modded is good, if you like the mods. as far as suspension goes, youre getting a better setup and not paying full price for it, so thats good. if its been dogged, then thats bad. but remember, you can dog out a bone stock truck just as easily. really you need to look at the truck with the additional parts and see what the value is. its not like these trucks are under warranty any more, so its all on you if there is a problem.

the biggest thing is if you like the look of the truck or not. if you do, its a good deal. if not, well then you need to figure in on what it will cost to do it the way you want. could still be ok, could be bad

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible that there will be potentially more buyers for a stock truck than one that has been modded out. A concern to think about if you will eventually sell later on.