Buy or No??? 2012 SCREW 140k for 23k

Buy or no

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mvfarrell

Reaction score
So I found a 2012 in good shape. Loaded. No rust. Has about 140k miles. Supposedly shocks were rebuilt at 100.
Anything I should be aware of?
Kinda worried about the amount of money with that many miles but it’s a good bit below book value.

JMIB99

Reaction score
I'm looking at Gen 1's, as well. I want a 14' Screw (stock, blue w/ blue accented interior) with less than 50k miles. I want to keep it long term like my 80' Formula Firebird (parents were original owner). Figure I'm looking at $40k to $45k, depending on the milage.

I'd much rather be spending in the mid to low $20's, but that kind of milage scares the hell out of me. If the last time the owner replaced the shocks was at 100k miles you're probably going to need to replace them again. Not to mention, there is bound to be normal wear and tear replacements needed at that milage; the engine might be built proof, but not the rest of the thing. If you're good with a wrench and can do it yourself, go for it. If you're going to need a shop to make the majority of your repairs, maybe hold off and save some more for a newer, lower milage one.

Either way, best of luck on your search and keep us posted on how it plays out.

Mokey

Reaction score
Ive seen this question before. new Is $70 k. You can do many improvements as needed with the money difference. Also. You will find out if you like the truck long term. If you do trade up. If you have an itch scratch it.

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s any peace of mind, the powertrain in gen 1 raptors are very well built. There’s multiple 6.2 superduties past 350k miles with no hard part failures. My gen 1 is at 212k miles on stock everything and purrs like a kitten with no weird noises/shifts or anything eventful to speak of. I know someone has a gen 1 at over 400k on stock hard parts of you dig through the forums to find it.

Maintenance is everything.

Pull the service records if you can, my raptor which I bought at 191k had all its services completed by the book at the local dealership, which shows that the previous owner cared about the truck, and that goes a long way for peace of mind.

KCM

Reaction score
Ive seen this question before. new Is $70 k. You can do many improvements as needed with the money difference. Also. You will find out if you like the truck long term. If you do trade up. If you have an itch scratch it.
Gen 1’s are not anywhere near 70k. I bought a ‘13 scab with 60K miles. If your gonna buy it make sure the truck has been maintained. Mine was not and I spent a crazy amount of money servicing all basic stuff. Yours is double the miles so beware.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure the frame is straight, spend some time on the test drive and get to know it. The mileage wouldn't scare me away, your not going to find a low mile example for anywhere near that price. Buy it, but plan on rebuilding the shocks (even in they were rebuilt 40k ago your pretty much due if any time has been spent in the dirt), plan on having another $1k available for the front end to make sure all the components are tight.

Take the 15k your saving from not buying a low mile example and buy a bare bones Kia with a 10 year warranty for a DD, be miserable in it every time you take it anywhere and you will savor the raptor that much more every time you get in it. Put the other 4k in the bank, use it for raptor run budget!