Burnt Ring Cylinder #4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Canuck714 - First off - Thank You.

I've got a shop here in town that could pull the motor for me and a machine shop that could do the motor work.

I like the idea of possibly honing out the cylinder and replacing the pistons with forged.
With not doing anything crazy with boost, any other parts that need to be upgraded?
ARP bolts/studs?

What do you think the limitations of the motor would be running the forged pistons?

Brian

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
At a minimum, I'd replace the piston and connecting rods to forged, ARP head studs, oil pump, timing chain and all bearings. Valve grind and valve stem guides. You will basically be doing a complete rebuild.

Don't put a band aid on major engine work and expect it to be good under heavy load.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not push it any harder that what the Whipple and JDM is already setup for if all you are doing is forged pistons.
If you have deep pockets and some time, you will want to go with forged rods & pistons and different valve springs/keepers. But the limitation is still pump gas so its a lot of money for little gain, just some security.

Blacktor

Reaction score
I was looking at Livernois and MMR this morning. Looks like both have a short block that can be purchased. How would the MMR short block hold up to a boosted motor? I was looking to get around 500 whp out of my truck. Can MMR do a stroker motor?
I have an MMR motor in my Whippled truck. Good experience. Runs great. Kind of long turnaround time. I don't think they offer a stroker version.

Blacktor

Reaction score
My engine let go in 2020 during peak pandemic. MMR is California based they were pretty shut down. Block was basically impossible to get new from Ford. Ordered in October 2020 and shipped in February 2021. I'm sure the situation is better now. I think they even have an expedited service?

OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not as bad as I thought you were going to say. Heck, I ordered my Whipple around 11/20/21 and it did not arrive from JDM until mid February 2022. I'm used to waiting on parts for the Raptor.