GEN 1 Burning smell in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
I get a burning rubber smell whenever I stop and get out after driving in 4x4. No one i've asked have been able to pin point from what or why... Anyone got any ideas of what it could be? Diff maybe on it's way out?

OP
OP
GitErDunn

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
It smells only at the back that I notice I should of added... Still will check this out though.

Go buy yourself a cheap infared thermometer and aim it at the front hubs and see if they are the same temperature or not. It's useful to see if the wife is ***** as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What surface are you driving on? Gen 1 4WD is part time only; it cannot be used on hard/dry surfaces.

OP
OP
GitErDunn

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
What surface are you driving on? Gen 1 4WD is part time only; it cannot be used on hard/dry surfaces.

Only use it on the highway if snow isn't cleared and when passing, then turn er back off when done passing or the roads are clear.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get it too after the first time I use 4x4 offroad. Goes away after first mini stretch of usage.

Transfer case/front diff oil are done often/never had any issues there. Nor any mechanical to date.