Burning Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GotBoost150

Reaction score
My oil pan has leaked three times and never leaves drop on the ground in the garage. It seems out when it is warm/running

Id be surprised if you don't have a seeping oil pan. Mine has always been on the passenger side.
My 17 3.5 non raptor just developed the oil pan leak on the passenger side also, sometime between my 32k and 37k mile oil change. I've heard and read nothing but horror stories having this repair be a one and done. Some guys have had their pans replaced 3 or 4 times. Sounds like it's all in the drain off time and prep work to have a successful fix. I've got mine scheduled to go in April 2nd [emoji1693]. I've got an extended warranty on the truck but luckily this falls under the 5yr 60k PT part of the warranty.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 17 3.5 non raptor just developed the oil pan leak on the passenger side also, sometime between my 32k and 37k mile oil change. I've heard and read nothing but horror stories having this repair be a one and done. Some guys have had their pans replaced 3 or 4 times. Sounds like it's all in the drain off time and prep work to have a successful fix. I've got mine scheduled to go in April 2nd [emoji1693]. I've got an extended warranty on the truck but luckily this falls under the 5yr 60k PT part of the warranty.

The repeat repairs were due to the RTV not adhering properly to the pan and block. The TSB was released with a revised procedure that successfully seals the pan.

GotBoost150

Reaction score
The repeat repairs were due to the RTV not adhering properly to the pan and block. The TSB was released with a revised procedure that successfully seals the pan.
I've read of the updated TSB and hope the tech follows it to a T!

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought there were two valve cover issues.... cracks around the bolt holes, and the baffling inside them. One was the leak (bolts), and the other (baffles) was the burning.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'm replacing pan #4 myself with a metal one, it won't leak this time!

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor and is using oil as well. My Ford dealer replaced one of the valve covers under the TSB 19-223 but I believe they just did a shot in the dark because nothing changed. I do not know about the 2017 Raptor but in the Suplemental for the 2019 they say that 1qt per 500 miles is normal. We are supposed to check the oil level when you fill the gas tank and adjust as necessary. In 300 miles I already have a half the qt missing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor and is using oil as well. My Ford dealer replaced one of the valve covers under the TSB 19-223 but I believe they just did a shot in the dark because nothing changed. I do not know about the 2017 Raptor but in the Suplemental for the 2019 they say that 1qt per 500 miles is normal. We are supposed to check the oil level when you fill the gas tank and adjust as necessary. In 300 miles I already have a half the qt missing.

The correct TSB# is 20-2423. If they only replaced one valve cover, then they did the TSB wrong. There is also a PCM update that needs to be performed.

The oil consumption of 500 miles per quart per only applies in high performance driving, such as running the Baja. Oil consumption at that rate under normal driving conditions is not deemed acceptable. The speciation is a maximum of 1 quart every 3,000 miles.