Burning Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eggorian

Reaction score
Any other 2017 Gen2 owners out there have any issues with their truck burning oil? If so, any experience with your dealing with it with your dealer under warranty? My 2017 burned 1.5 quarts between the last two oil changes or about 7500 miles. There are 66000 miles on the truck now. I did purchase the extended 100k warranty on my truck and am wondering if something like this would be covered under warranty.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any other 2017 Gen2 owners out there have any issues with their truck burning oil? If so, any experience with your dealing with it with your dealer under warranty? My 2017 burned 1.5 quarts between the last two oil changes or about 7500 miles. There are 66000 miles on the truck now. I did purchase the extended 100k warranty on my truck and am wondering if something like this would be covered under warranty.

Define "burning". You mean you see smoke out your tailpipes or do you mean truck is using oil in some capacity? Some reasons I have seen.

1. Valve covers - see TSB
2. Timing chain cover leaked - happened to my 2017 and was fixed under warranty

If you aren't actually burning it your dealership will need to do a dye leak test to confirm a suspected leak in the system.

OP
OP
Eggorian

Eggorian

Reaction score
Burning as in I put in 6 quarts and removed 4.5 quarts at the last oil change. I do not see smoke. I do not see any evidence of leaks. What is TSB?

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burning as in I put in 6 quarts and removed 4.5 quarts at the last oil change. I do not see smoke. I do not see any evidence of leaks. What is TSB?

Just do a quick search. Lots of owners have had to deal with the leaking valve covers.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. It’s a standardized procedure for dealers to follow when there is a “known” concern.

The TSB being referenced (#20-2132) applies to 2017 Raptor. The oil consumption concern is caused by the PCV system internal to the valve covers. There is no external leak. The TSB has the dealer perform an oil consumption test and replace the valve covers if oil consumption is 1 quart or more within 3000 miles.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you are only referring to only one of the valve cover issues. There is another one via tsb where they had to install new valve covers with correct baffling in them.
Could be, yeah, I think they reprogram the ecu or something as well.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

My oil pan has leaked three times and never leaves drop on the ground in the garage. It seems out when it is warm/running

Id be surprised if you don't have a seeping oil pan. Mine has always been on the passenger side.