GEN 2 Burger Tuning Stage 1 Piggyback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So crazy how we get so worked up over justifying our purchases... take a step back and chill out appreciate new products coming to market, whether they are step back or forward...

...No reason to start lynching each other, the more options we have the better whether you like them or not

A very logical response. I'm not "worked up" over anything at all.

I still own one of the latest and most popular piggyback style devices (XEDE) and the software (XMap) and have saved it for posterity. I also have a WOT Box device for launch control and Flat-Foot-Shifting manual trans cars. I also have the old DashHawk device for monitoring the OBD bus for all the available ECU parameters. I used all three on my 2007 Mazdaspeed6 up until Trey Cobb (of Cobb Tuning) cracked into the ECU code to design their flash tuning hardware and software. They have surpassed any other tuner on the platforms they support. The Ford 3.5 EB TT is on their list, but not ready for release yet.

I've now purchased the NGauge device for my new Raptor to learn what 5Star, MPT, and others are doing with the new 10 spd auto trans. I have other OBD tools (hardware and software) to record the data and take a look at their changes. Not to compete with or steal their intellectual property, but to increase my knowledge. I'm not experienced in tuning the automatic transmission (always been a manual guy), so I'm in learning mode for that area.

As for the other folks posting about the thread subject device, it's also my opinion that they don't have enough basic knowledge to address specific details and they won't be convinced of their errors because they don't know enough to realize when they're wrong, so I'll leave them to their own opinions.

The Burger device is likely a quality built "product". It's just a decade too late to be relevant to compete in the current tuning market. That said, it MAY be cheap enough to have a small part for less experienced (better than saying ignorant I suppose) people, but I don't know that it would sell enough to be profitable.

Oh, also note that I use piggyback tuning devices (Power Commander V) on my 2 Ducati motorcycles. The Aprilia RSV4 Superbike has the factory race flash in the ECU. I also use a piggyback type iPhone APP tunable quick shifter on the Hypermotard Ducati. Not that it matters to a Raptor forum, but it is another indicator that I have more than a little experience with piggyback devices and flash tuning concepts and actual tuning.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't get it, the Raptor doesn't even have OBD or and ecu. That is all pre 2010.

The Raptor has OBDII Can bus and a PCM and then throw the BCM into the mix, there is a hell of a lot more going on computer wise.

Last edited:

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very logical response. I'm not "worked up" over anything at all.

I still own one of the latest and most popular piggyback style devices (XEDE) and the software (XMap) and have saved it for posterity. I also have a WOT Box device for launch control and Flat-Foot-Shifting manual trans cars. I also have the old DashHawk device for monitoring the OBD bus for all the available ECU parameters. I used all three on my 2007 Mazdaspeed6 up until Trey Cobb (of Cobb Tuning) cracked into the ECU code to design their flash tuning hardware and software. They have surpassed any other tuner on the platforms they support. The Ford 3.5 EB TT is on their list, but not ready for release yet.

I've now purchased the NGauge device for my new Raptor to learn what 5Star, MPT, and others are doing with the new 10 spd auto trans. I have other OBD tools (hardware and software) to record the data and take a look at their changes. Not to compete with or steal their intellectual property, but to increase my knowledge. I'm not experienced in tuning the automatic transmission (always been a manual guy), so I'm in learning mode for that area.

As for the other folks posting about the thread subject device, it's also my opinion that they don't have enough basic knowledge to address specific details and they won't be convinced of their errors because they don't know enough to realize when they're wrong, so I'll leave them to their own opinions.

The Burger device is likely a quality built "product". It's just a decade too late to be relevant to compete in the current tuning market. That said, it MAY be cheap enough to have a small part for less experienced (better than saying ignorant I suppose) people, but I don't know that it would sell enough to be profitable.

Oh, also note that I use piggyback tuning devices (Power Commander V) on my 2 Ducati motorcycles. The Aprilia RSV4 Superbike has the factory race flash in the ECU. I also use a piggyback type iPhone APP tunable quick shifter on the Hypermotard Ducati. Not that it matters to a Raptor forum, but it is another indicator that I have more than a little experience with piggyback devices and flash tuning concepts and actual tuning.

You seem pretty knowledgeable, so I have to wonder why the **** you're so condescending. You don't know the background of the people you're talking down to, so why do it?

You might be one of the people with good stuff to contribute here, and not another MGD type, so maybe a change in presentation would be useful.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it, the Raptor doesn't even have OBD or and ecu. That is all pre 2010.

The Raptor has OBDII Can bus and a PCM and then throw the BCM into the mix, there is a hell of a lot more going on computer wise.

OBD2 CAN (Common Area Network) bus and the BCM (Body Control Module) was out well before 2010. As I mentioned somewhere earlier the difference in an ECU (Engine or Electronic Control Unit) and a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is simply the range of functions connected. The PCM is called "PCM" because it contains the automatic transmission interface/programming as well. All the electronic (engine) control units are referred to as "ECU" unless you don't really understand. The 2006/7 cars had them as well. The cut was 2005 from OBD2 to the CAN bus version. Most cars were switched to fuel injection as well. There were a few outliers like Hyundai that persevered for another year with an electronic carburetor which was a functional disaster.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MGD was in fact banned.

AKA Sasquatch.

Now we have this new “member” who has an awful lot to say and uses an awfully similar
Style of speech.

He’s cutting and pasting google.

I’m bored already.

MGD take two?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem pretty knowledgeable, so I have to wonder why the **** you're so condescending. You don't know the background of the people you're talking down to, so why do it?

You might be one of the people with good stuff to contribute here, and not another MGD type, so maybe a change in presentation would be useful.

Good points there @Gregger, but I can't help it. I'm too old and experienced to accept what I see as willful ignorance. I will comment on occasion if I see something that triggers a response needed. Maybe I should apologize in advance for being an *******. Just know that I'm not going to coddle anyone who acts like they speak universal truths, but are actual very wrong because they refuse to do real research for answers. This forum, or ANY forum, is not the place to go for real knowledge. It comes from study and "doing" experience. You can't get it in a few short sentences.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points there @Gregger, but I can't help it. I'm too old and experienced to accept what I see as willful ignorance. I will comment on occasion if I see something that triggers a response needed. Maybe I should apologize in advance for being an *******. Just know that I'm not going to coddle anyone who acts like they speak universal truths, but are actual very wrong because they refuse to do real research for answers. This forum, or ANY forum, is not the place to go for real knowledge. It comes from study and "doing" experience. You can't get it in a few short sentences.

That's fair. I, personally, don't need anything sugar coated. I like to learn, and the Raptor is a new beast to me. I have a long background in building and racing fox body and SN95 mustangs, auto-cross, sport bike racing, etc, but I do have things to learn about my Raptor and how all the systems work together.

Just keep in mind there are people like me, who have a technical background, that don't know all there is to know about our trucks.

DoMoreAdam

Reaction score
:supergay:

So crazy how we get so worked up over justifying our purchases... take a step back and chill out appreciate new products coming to market, whether they are step back or forward.

As for Terry@Burger, I had years of working with him and my JB3 & JB4 tuned 335. Awesome guy, and way cool stuff he was doing back then with some dated hardware(that still remains dated, but still works too). Like many ppl, we started with his JB+, which was a more basic version of his stg1 offered on later/other platforms. Is this raptor option anything sophisticated, or drastically different than the delta boost, scorcher, max etc etc... no, probably not. Would i run this after having experienced a good flash tune, hell no. But a nice toe in the water approach for ppl on the fence, and if he ever did release something similar to his JB4, id totally be open to look into it and try it out given my experience with him

No reason to start lynching each other, the more options we have the better whether you like them or not

Exactly. Never been on a forum full of so many "Whipplet knights" wanting to defend their purchases they have made like they have full sponsorship:baby:. I have 0 skin in any of the tuners but hope to see Burger take it to a JB4 level instead of piggyback. Sure would be a shame if there was competition in the market... Good thing there are all these dbags to make sure we all purchase exactly what they do.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fair. I, personally, don't need anything sugar coated. I like to learn, and the Raptor is a new beast to me. I have a long background in building and racing fox body and SN95 mustangs, auto-cross, sport bike racing, etc, but I do have things to learn about my Raptor and how all the systems work together.

Just keep in mind there are people like me, who have a technical background, that don't know all there is to know about our trucks.

No worries Gregger. When I see that someone is eager to learn, (like you) I will go the extra mile to help out, and if I don't know, then we'll research it to the correct answer because I need to know (it's just a thing with me). I also need to learn the new trans algorithms, but when I see something I should share, I certainly will. If you have specific questions, you can send me a PM or open a new thread topic for more detailed response. I'm done cluttering up this thread about the Burger device. Thanks for your rational input.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OBD2 CAN (Common Area Network) bus and the BCM (Body Control Module) was out well before 2010. As I mentioned somewhere earlier the difference in an ECU (Engine or Electronic Control Unit) and a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is simply the range of functions connected. The PCM is called "PCM" because it contains the automatic transmission interface/programming as well. All the electronic (engine) control units are referred to as "ECU" unless you don't really understand. The 2006/7 cars had them as well. The cut was 2005 from OBD2 to the CAN bus version. Most cars were switched to fuel injection as well. There were a few outliers like Hyundai that persevered for another year with an electronic carburetor which was a functional disaster.

Really!!!
I was being vague with the year, actually all cars sold in the USA had to be OBDII from 1996 on.
At least you spelled out the acronyms, maybe now you will stop calling it an ecu when it's a PCM!
The modern day PCM is nothing like the first versions of the "so called PCM" they started calling it in late 70's

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Hey you don't need to private message me.

And for your information I've been a member for 8 years!
I have helped many members on this forum, a hell of a lot more than what ever your doing, oh wait, you haven't help anyone.

And if your going to be an *******, go find another forum!
Better yet, go back to FaceBook were it seems you come from, coping and pasting other people's info.

Last edited: