GEN 2 Bumper LED light kits - Overpower camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misterturbo

Reaction score
For those who have rear bumper LED light kits, do you find they overpower the backup camera's ability to adjust to the brightness of the lights? I.e. can the factory camera adjust to the extra light without whiting out?

Context: Interested in adding lights to make night trailer connecting easier. I.e. get a little more light on what I'm either backing into. Worried the bright lights will drown out the camera.

Thanks all!

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have added extra lights on my previous trucks, the Pioneer brand cameras has no problem adjusting to the Rigid Dually flood pattern I used on both.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got BD S1s with amber lens and they definitely improve visibility of the camera at night. I have not connected a trailer though and can't say that they would be all that useful for that. The lights are spread and designed more to shine light in a distance more than what's immediately behind the truck.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got BD S1s with amber lens and they definitely improve visibility of the camera at night. I have not connected a trailer though and can't say that they would be all that useful for that. The lights are spread and designed more to shine light in a distance more than what's immediately behind the truck.

I was looking at a pair of the flush mounted S1 lights on the rear bumper. ORA recommended wide cornering, I’m going to order a single work/scene lens and run one of each and see how it looks. If I don’t like it I’ll be out $11.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at a pair of the flush mounted S1 lights on the rear bumper. ORA recommended wide cornering, I’m going to order a single work/scene lens and run one of each and see how it looks. If I don’t like it I’ll be out $11.

Good point. The lens for these are usually wide corner, but a different lens, might work much better for hooking up a trailer.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For those who have rear bumper LED light kits, do you find they overpower the backup camera's ability to adjust to the brightness of the lights? I.e. can the factory camera adjust to the extra light without whiting out?

Context: Interested in adding lights to make night trailer connecting easier. I.e. get a little more light on what I'm either backing into. Worried the bright lights will drown out the camera.

Thanks all!

Not at all. I have personally tested ALL of these and all make the camera work a lot better -

https://specialtyperformanceparts.com/collections/backup-light-kits-for-f-150-raptor-roush

John
SPVparts.com
317-93-GOSPV

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm running the Baja Designs S2 kit (with sports) and have no issues. I've had customers running S2 Pros (an upgrade we offer) without issues either.

On my old truck I ran a pair of Squadron Pros back there and they worked GREAT.

The camera will auto-adjust. Don't forget, it works in the daytime, so all you are doing is giving it more light. It may go from black/white to color with the added light, but nothing wrong with that. The more light, the better it'll perform actually.

We have PLENTY in stock and can help you pick the right kit when you are ready. If you are doing one that bolts on, the S2 kits are great (and as I said, we offer an upgrade to S2 Pros).

Lots of kits here to choose from: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/baja-designs/raptor-2017-lighting-kits/

Squadron Pros on the old truck as an example
upload_2020-9-2_11-2-49.png