Bump Stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khamis

Reaction score
You forgot to mention the ADD bump stop kit with Fox 2.5.

I got this on my gen2 and it’s pretty good never did towing thou but rough off-roading, pretty easy to install no drilling needed a bolt on kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot to mention the ADD bump stop kit with Fox 2.5.

I got this on my gen2 and it’s pretty good never did towing thou but rough off-roading, pretty easy to install no drilling needed a bolt on kit.

Step 1: Remove bed bolts.

I'd like to avoid the bed removal if possible, I don't have the garage/shop tools I used to or this wouldn't bother me. I also want to get 2.5 but I need an option when towing that's better than an extension. I only tow 4-5 times year, usually its a 250+ mile trip each time.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 1: Remove bed bolts.

I'd like to avoid the bed removal if possible, I don't have the garage/shop tools I used to or this wouldn't bother me. I also want to get 2.5 but I need an option when towing that's better than an extension. I only tow 4-5 times year, usually its a 250+ mile trip each time.

Go with the SVC kit if your planning to use the bumps for towing. Are you planning on adding deavers?

Just make sure you install the center brace before adding the other side of the kit you will never get the center brace in with both sides mounted. Other than that it’s not a bad install. The provided wrench bends easily and works great.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the SVC kit if your planning to use the bumps for towing. Are you planning on adding deavers?

Just make sure you install the center brace before adding the other side of the kit you will never get the center brace in with both sides mounted. Other than that it’s not a bad install. The provided wrench bends easily and works great.

SVC kit you run the same bumps all the time you just lower the brackets to accommodate while towing, correct? Do they have a 2.5 inch option? can't seem to access their site for some reason. (me and work IT aren't getting along)

I've looked at Deavers and Icon rear springs. I've been leaning towards the Icon because they come with everything for three different settings so as I build the truck I could adjust later to get the rear ride height or payload capacity needed, I'd just have to replace U-bolts and possibly spring center bolt. From what I've read you can't do much to the deavers with out taking back to a dealer, (if they have the ability to adjust/modify the deavers) Mostly I hear about people getting the +2 then selling and getting the +3. Both have their own pros and con's. The Con for me is shipping and support. I do have a local dealer for the Deavers, but I haven't called and talked to them yet. I'm afraid they might be having a sale, that's how I ended up with front and rear winch bumpers on my last truck. I called my local Icon dealer (who I did some business with before) and it sounds like he's closed up shop and forgot to tell Icon he's not going to be making any more sales.

Realistically about 4-6 months from pulling the trigger on springs.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you move the cans and if your planning on using them in that manner I believe they recommend the Fox IFP. You have all three options for bump can both Fox and King. The Fox IFP are the most adjustable with the collars.

If it were me I would get springs if I could only have one of the options and add the bumps later.

Have to ask yourself how often you will utilize the bumps for off-road. The springs you can use everyday and go with either one you want but if your towing get the HD version of deavers. I have heard good things about the icons as well. They were not available when I did my truck.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the 2.5" bump stops can be a bit much for light duty trucks ( like the raptor) when hitting it hard in the dirt. To get it perfect, you usually need to adjust the pressure in the bumps to get them "perfect" for your truck. Some people report that the 2.5" bumps have too much rebound and make the rear of the truck kick a bit on hard hits.

The 2.0s are variable valve so they require no tuning to be in the sweet spot.

The good news is, with the SVC kit, you can simply change out the bump can mount part of the setup and run 2.0s of 2.5s. you can also adjust height of the bump.

If it were me and towing was most important, I'd go with deaver +3 HDs and if that left the rear of the truck too high, I'd run a drop shackle. That way you can run a shorter shackle in the future to gain the extra inch in heigh if required.

For towing, I would also consider roadmaster active suspension. Easy on and off, REALLY helps with sway and squat and the only thing that will remove more axle wrap is going with links.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you move the cans and if your planning on using them in that manner I believe they recommend the Fox IFP. You have all three options for bump can both Fox and King. The Fox IFP are the most adjustable with the collars.

If it were me I would get springs if I could only have one of the options and add the bumps later.

Have to ask yourself how often you will utilize the bumps for off-road. The springs you can use everyday and go with either one you want but if your towing get the HD version of deavers. I have heard good things about the icons as well. They were not available when I did my truck.

the 2.5" bump stops can be a bit much for light duty trucks ( like the raptor) when hitting it hard in the dirt. To get it perfect, you usually need to adjust the pressure in the bumps to get them "perfect" for your truck. Some people report that the 2.5" bumps have too much rebound and make the rear of the truck kick a bit on hard hits.

The 2.0s are variable valve so they require no tuning to be in the sweet spot.

The good news is, with the SVC kit, you can simply change out the bump can mount part of the setup and run 2.0s of 2.5s. you can also adjust height of the bump.

If it were me and towing was most important, I'd go with deaver +3 HDs and if that left the rear of the truck too high, I'd run a drop shackle. That way you can run a shorter shackle in the future to gain the extra inch in heigh if required.

For towing, I would also consider roadmaster active suspension. Easy on and off, REALLY helps with sway and squat and the only thing that will remove more axle wrap is going with links.

Yes Springs are first on my list, even before a set of collars I'm afraid. 400lbs in the bed all the time and I've only towed the trailer with a WDH. Empty weight is under what Ford says to use it but I figured might as well. truck handles it well. I really only tow it about 4 times a year on longer trips, no shorter day trips so far. The local Deaver dealer also sells Icon, so I should be getting a quote back from them soon. I know everyone says go with Deaver, and I know there is a very good reason for it. If I don't act like I'm still considering Icon's than I'll have no reason not to buy the Deavers right now. I'm trying to hold off until spring. I do like the adjust-ability of the Icons and that is my hold up right now. Are the Deaver HD's a much stiffer ride than standard +3s?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yes Springs are first on my list, even before a set of collars I'm afraid. 400lbs in the bed all the time and I've only towed the trailer with a WDH. Empty weight is under what Ford says to use it but I figured might as well. truck handles it well. I really only tow it about 4 times a year on longer trips, no shorter day trips so far. The local Deaver dealer also sells Icon, so I should be getting a quote back from them soon. I know everyone says go with Deaver, and I know there is a very good reason for it. If I don't act like I'm still considering Icon's than I'll have no reason not to buy the Deavers right now. I'm trying to hold off until spring. I do like the adjust-ability of the Icons and that is my hold up right now. Are the Deaver HD's a much stiffer ride than standard +3s?

actually quite the opposite. you really don't get the stiffness unloaded. The HDs are designed for 500 lbs in the bed with no sag. I run about 350-400 lbs in the bed of my truck with the non-HDs.

I'd describe it as this : Much better ride with almost no axle wrap unloaded. With the weight in the bed, smooth as silk when compared to the stockers.

If you drive a raptor with deavers, then a stock F-150, you'll REALLY understand how magical a raptor with deavers is, even when just bopping around town. It is night and day.

Food for thought - there are thousands of trucks with deavers on them. They are proven. They just work. I have not met a gen2 owner with icons yet.

You can only adjust a leaf spring by adding or removing leafs, or changing the mounting points.

I can say this much, when I'm ready to go spring under, I'll be having deaver make the custom leaf springs for me. buy once, cry once and all that.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I don't act like I'm still considering Icon's than I'll have no reason not to buy the Deavers right now.

Did you see this...

Also you should be aware, I'm not real good with peer pressure, you aren't helping.

Food for thought - there are thousands of trucks with deavers on them. They are proven. They just work. I have not met a gen2 owner with icons yet.

You can only adjust a leaf spring by adding or removing leafs, or changing the mounting points.

I can say this much, when I'm ready to go spring under, I'll be having deaver make the custom leaf springs for me. buy once, cry once and all that.

The Icon's come with another leaf to either swap out or add in depending on the set up you choose, which I was ok with, it would allow me to change the rear as I build the truck. On the other hand like you said, there are a lot of people talking about the deaver and how great they are. To be honest I never considered the longer shackle to lower it down with the +3 deavers, that's not going to screw with the geometry too much? Which shackle? Eventually I would go back to a standard length shackle when I get the front end dialed in.

I'm not sure what to do with the front end yet. Gieser, Eibach, or collars. I know it seems like a waste when I know I'll change it later but I was thinking of collars so I can adjust the front as I get the rear set up. I've seen several posts stating that after 1.75 of spring perch it makes the stock spring stiffer/harsher riding then a Geiser or Eibach and it might be better to change springs at that point. I would use the "adjustable" to help determine if I would go with a spring option giving me a 2.5 raise, or change out the entire assembly for 0-2 inch lift. I'd like to have a slight rake when I'm done. Done being a term used loosely, it really means I've run out of parts to put on for the time being.

I've read your build thread and a lot of others since I signed up a year ago, there is a lot of good info on this site, as I've been getting closer to starting to modify mine I've been asking more questions of members like yourself that have already done so much to their trucks. Thank you for your time answering some of my questions and giving your input.