Bump stop issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matts6foot8

Reaction score
First time posting on a forum so forgive me. I've got a 2010 Raptor 6.2. Got it a year ago. The previous owner did some modifications. It has a ready lift cross member with Fox 2.5 bump stops. It looks to me like the leaf springs have been swapped out also. My issue is I'm making contact with that bump stop going over railroad tracks or sudden axel lift that is "medium" in nature. I have put new OEM Fox shocks all the way around the truck they are only 6 months old so I've ruled that out. What seems odd is from the bottom of the bump stop to the contact plate on the axle it has about two and a half maybe three inches until it makes contact. This seems like very short travel to me. It's my understanding that bump stops were a last resort, meaning under heavy off road use only and not a sudden bump up. My driveway does have a curb and it flexes the suspension somewhat but it does not do it there like I've read and other threads. I'm going to take a picture and try and post it with this but like I said I'm new and who knows how that will go. Any feedback or experience that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. PXL_20201105_214724480.jpg

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First time posting on a forum so forgive me. I've got a 2010 Raptor 6.2. Got it a year ago. The previous owner did some modifications. It has a ready lift cross member with Fox 2.5 bump stops. It looks to me like the leaf springs have been swapped out also. My issue is I'm making contact with that bump stop going over railroad tracks or sudden axel lift that is "medium" in nature. I have put new OEM Fox shocks all the way around the truck they are only 6 months old so I've ruled that out. What seems odd is from the bottom of the bump stop to the contact plate on the axle it has about two and a half maybe three inches until it makes contact. This seems like very short travel to me. It's my understanding that bump stops were a last resort, meaning under heavy off road use only and not a sudden bump up. My driveway does have a curb and it flexes the suspension somewhat but it does not do it there like I've read and other threads. I'm going to take a picture and try and post it with this but like I said I'm new and who knows how that will go. Any feedback or experience that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 155445

I just measured mine and i have 5" of airgap between the bump and plate but i am also running a 1.125" block. So 3.5-4" sounds about right. Measure how much shock shaft you have exposed too. This will give us a better idea if there is leaf sag or an issue with the bump.

remember though the bump stop is an air shock it absorbs shock so you have the distance of the bump shaft in addition to the air gap of actual travel. It is ok for the bump to make contact with the plate, there is another 4-5 inches of compression that comes after contact.

I would suspect you have some leaf sag though.

OP
OP
Matts6foot8

Matts6foot8

Reaction score
I'll take a picture of the leaf springs. maybe from your experience you can tell me from that if it looks to have sag or not. Also to these bump stops have nitrogen in them?

PXL_20201105_215950498.jpg

OP
OP
Matts6foot8

Matts6foot8

Reaction score
Also I took a psi reading of the bump stop and got 160 psi. The only reason it's bugging me is because when they do Hit that axle plate it's not a soft event it's a pretty good "thud".

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also I took a psi reading of the bump stop and got 160 psi. The only reason it's bugging me is because when they do Hit that axle plate it's not a soft event it's a pretty good "thud".
you should be able to stick a small tape measure down the shock guard until it stops and be able to read a measurement at the bottom of the shock body.

The sound can be a little "alarming" thinking something broke. i have seen some people attach a heavy piece of plastic on the plate to help with the noise on a daily driver. might do that to mine soon

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay got under there and measured 9 in from top of shock shaft to the bottom of the shock itself.
I just measured 8” on mine. I’m running icon shocks so there might be some variation but I’d say you are in good shape. Measurements are within spec

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely aftermarket leaf springs.

Are those bump stops in any way adjustable? I can't see the whole setup in your pictures, but mine have multiple bolts and holes that let me set the height on the housing holding the bumps. If I set them low enough to make frequent contact it's really annoying and concerning - so I know the sound you are talking about. I just measured mine, and I have 4.5 inches before initial contact with my bump stop.