Bulge Seat vs Cone Seat Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flgator

Reaction score
I have the OEM beadlock wheels. I bought the following Cone Seat Lug Nuts and the stock lugs seem much thicker than the new lugs. The new lugs are "cone seat" and apparently there are bulge seat that might be close to stock. Should i purchase the Bulge Seat set? Does it even matter? Unfortunately the bulge set are do not come with a lock like the cone seat.

Cone Seat Bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028090SS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Bulge Seat:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIX0ZSS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed the Gorilla bulge black lugs and they mirrored the stock lugs in every way. I see what you mean about the cone style doesn't appear big enough at the taper.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the bulge style are needed to be used with OEM wheels, the conical type are for aftermarket wheels. I am not an expert though, I would recommend using the Mcgard vehicle application guide and use the ones they suggest.

But even then there might be some trial and error...the Mcgard guide for 2019 calls out fasteners with a length of 1.9" but 2018 calls out 1.6". Again I am not an expert but the oem I believe are the same from 2017 to 2019 Raptors so not sure which is the right lenght. 2017 shows the 1.9" length. The discrepancies in the Application guide are a little worrisome for not having a wheel loosen up. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy and try them out I guess.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I searched everywhere but I didn’t find the info I wanted.

The bulge nuts are the same length as the oem. I don’t think there is as much land as the oem. The cone seat are longer but look to have the least amount of land.

I don’t think that the cone seat will pull thru but I’m wary torquing to 148 ft lbs. I’ll take a chance, order from amazon, and try the bulge cone seat nuts.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I searched everywhere but I didn’t find the info I wanted.

The bulge nuts are the same length as the oem. I don’t think there is as much land as the oem. The cone seat are longer but look to have the least amount of land.

I don’t think that the cone seat will pull thru but I’m wary torquing to 148 ft lbs. I’ll take a chance, order from amazon, and try the bulge cone seat nuts.

What year is your truck? I wouldn't try the reg cone seat ones either. Fairly sure you need the bulge ones for OEM wheels. The reg cone seat ones are needed for some after market wheels.

Curious about the length though, are you sure the OE lug fastener is 1.6" and not 1.9"?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a 2018. I would assume that the seating area on the rim is the same 17-20.

I measured a spare lug nut and it’s 1 5/8” long.

What year is your truck? I wouldn't try the reg cone seat ones either. Fairly sure you need the bulge ones for OEM wheels. The reg cone seat ones are needed for some after market wheels.

Curious about the length though, are you sure the OE lug fastener is 1.6" and not 1.9"?

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a 2018. I would assume that the seating area on the rim is the same 17-20.

I measured a spare lug nut and it’s 1 5/8” long.

I would think so too. Weird that Mcgard thinks the 17 and 19s need the longer 1.9" version. Probabaly better to have a little extra length vs bottoming out the nut before its fully torqued but if the stock ones work then why wouldnt the 1.6" Mcgard ones.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM beadlock wheels. I bought the following Cone Seat Lug Nuts and the stock lugs seem much thicker than the new lugs. The new lugs are "cone seat" and apparently there are bulge seat that might be close to stock. Should i purchase the Bulge Seat set? Does it even matter? Unfortunately the bulge set are do not come with a lock like the cone seat.

Cone Seat Bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028090SS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Bulge Seat:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIX0ZSS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

While I don’t know answer to your question, if you go with bulge seats, go with these:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla...0-2015-2020-raptor-f-150-2017-2020/p/WHLLN40/

$83 for 24 and Gorillas are well known and are very popular on these forums. The one’s you listed would set you back $120 for 24.

In addition, you’ll be supporting a Raptor vendor instead of Amazon...something encouraged here particularly when the price is similar (or in this case cheaper).