BuiltRight's 2018 F-150 Raptor Build Thread - 'Regular Guy Raptor'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuiltRight

Reaction score
BuiltRight's 2018 F-150 Raptor Build Thread

vdKrAEv.jpg

Purpose

The purpose of this thread is to chronicle the 'build' and ownership experience of my new 2018 F-150 Raptor. In it, I’ll post photos, videos, product development updates, modifications, test results, shenanigans and so on.

Introduction

Alright, what better time to start than the day after picking up the truck? I traded in my 2016 Lariat Screw yesterday morning for a 2018 Raptor Screw in Magnetic Gray. I've always enjoyed documenting builds, hearing feedback and suggestions and coming up with creative solutions to things that I want.

I'm just a regular guy. Mechanical engineer by training, with a bit of business experience - I call myself a professional tinkerer. I want this build to be an exercise in experimenting, using or developing quality parts and hopefully providing some information and documentation for other F-150 owners interested in the same or similar mods. This truck won't be for everyone. I don't spend a ton of time off road (MN doesn't have much to offer), but I also don't feel the need to buff the truck with a diaper. I enjoy camping, weekend adventures and having a truck that will facilitate those but still be able to haul pallets of parts, much, whatever periodically. It's not uncommon to end up on forest and minimum maintenance roads. I had a RZR XP Turbo for about a year and had a blast, but around here, there's just not that much riding that can be done without a couple hours of driving. This Raptor is like commuting in a giant RZR!

So without further rambling, meet my 2018 Ford F-150 Raptor. It took a while to find the right truck. I wanted a subdued color but as my 2016 was black, I also wanted a change. I'm not much for the Raptor graphics across the side and knew that if that changed, I could add them, but I did appreciate the beadlock wheels. As luck would have it, just about when I was ready to buy, a truck that met my needs popped up at a local dealership. With a bit of back and forth, we had a deal. This truck is an 802a package with the beadlock wheels, twin panel moonroof, carbon package and probably other bits that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Because this build is based off of what I want out of my own personal truck, I’ve included my ‘automotive resume’ below to give you some insight on my preferences, biases, etc.

My first car was a 1996 Toyota Camry, followed closely by a 2000 VW Jetta VR6. After that, it was a 2001 GTI 1.8T and then my first Subaru, a 2006 STI (currently broken, 600whp). Since then, I’ve had a number of daily drivers including a 1994 BMW E36, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 2004 Silverado 2500HD, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2016 F-150 Lariat and finally, the Raptor. I also have a 1984 Porsche 911 that’s been a long-term project with my uncle.

The Goal

The plan is to modify this truck by making small, incremental improvements, as I identify things or features that we want. Anything that I can design, manufacture and test myself, I will. Definitely open to suggestions and feedback or things people would like to see. Here's a list of what I'm interested in at the moment:

• Tonneau Cover – I'll just swap my soft cover from the lariat for now
  • Stubby Antenna - Hate that the longer antenna runs into the outside of garages and parking ramps
  • Bed Protection - Being aluminum, I'm not too concerned with corrosion, but we'll see
  • Interior Protection - Floor mats, seat material protection of some sort? Center console cover?
  • Window Tint - Subtle tint on the front windows to match the rears
  • BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - keep tools/etc organized without occupying valuable sqft in the bed
  • BuiltRight Industries Rear Seat Release - How much space will there be with the 802 package audio equip?
  • Additional lighting - Nothing crazy, but something to light up a campsite or the road in bad weather
  • Bike Rack - Again, how can we accomplish this without losing bed functionality?
  • Cell Phone/Radar/Dashcam Mount - Clean and factory looking? Hidden wiring?
  • Dash Cam and Radar Detector - mounting? wiring? want clean installation
  • Performance - Truck performs nicely from the factory, but we'll see where this goes based on how I'm using it!

This thread is as much for my benefit as it is to share. I enjoy documenting the process and it's fun to look back on. Before it's asked, I'm Matt of BuiltRight Industries, which you may have heard of because of our rear seat release and bedside racks. Since I can't get a response from anybody on the forum regarding becoming a vendor, please keep sales-related questions out of the thread - I won't answer them!

Matt

Last edited:

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take a look at the 1up-USA.com It’s the best bike rack I have ever had and it’s over built. Hitch mount is great!

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take a look at the 1up-USA.com It’s the best bike rack I have ever had and it’s over built. Hitch mount is great!

I second that. I went Yakima and regret not getting the 1up!!!!! I ride trails on an intense uzzi, carbon fat bike and downhill on a Canfield Jedi with DVO suspension. Thought riding bicycles would be cheaper than racing motocross which I’ve done for many years. Jokes on me

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

Reaction score
Welcome Matt and congrats on the new Raptor.
Thanks!

I second that. I went Yakima and regret not getting the 1up!!!!! I ride trails on an intense uzzi, carbon fat bike and downhill on a Canfield Jedi with DVO suspension. Thought riding bicycles would be cheaper than racing motocross which I’ve done for many years. Jokes on me
Woah, you guys weren't kidding, those look like killer products. Reasonably priced, considering the apparent quality and attention to detail, too. Thanks for the link!

Matt

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1Up's are strong...but I gotta say IMO, ugly. The Küat Racks are my pick. The NV 2.0 is awesome. They combine amazing strength with ease of locking, loading, adjustability, etc. And they look awesome on Magnetic or Leadfoot trucks!

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a Kuat and liked a lot. The 1up works well for me because the tray closest to the truck is lower so when it’s on the truck without a bike on it you can drop the tail gate and it does not hit the rack. You can get them in Black to blend in with the dark truck. The build quality is the best and it’s the super easy to use.

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

Reaction score
I woke up at around 5:30am yesterday morning and was wide awake, so I had my coffee and being that it was 20F outside, was in no mood to go fiddle with FORScan. So, I started kicking around an idea that was in my head for cell phone and accessory mounting. In addition to my cell phone, I'd like a clean way to mount my radar detector and dashcam. The catch is, I hate to have my view blocked and also don't want anything attached to the windshield.

Here's what I came up with. I never used this tray in my lariat, so I thought I'd re-purpose it as a mounting location for a bracket. This bracket would have mounting features so that RAM Mounts could be easily used (along with whatever else a guy might dream up). I can mount three RAM balls on this and then use three of their arms in various lengths to mount my gadgets. I'm also imagining a plate that could bolt to this mount and provide a flat, smooth surface for suction cup mounting, if I choose to use any of those accessories.

I tried hard to find a way to mount it using OEM fasteners, but there's just not much for options up there and the panels fit together so tightly and 'interlock' that it's difficult to sneak something between them without creating nasty gaps. I settled for using four small fasteners into the tray, the justification being maximum strength, but also that should you choose to remove the mount, the little rubber pad would cover the holes. Also, that OEM part is $20-30 to replace, should you want to return to 100% original condition.

Sooo, I whipped this up as a proof of concept. It obviously won't be as rigid as the same thing in steel or aluminum, but will at least help me identify if I like the placement and function.
EYVsbeY.png
Prepped it for 3D printing using 'coarse' printing settings to speed things up I highlighted the two different print times. The first is 'normal' mode and the second is 'fast' mode.
cNZdacA.png
DIuoHPc.png
Now, we wait!
ivShmIs.jpg

I'll continue revising the design until I'm happy with it. I could see adding some height/angle adjustability to it as well, but I do like to keep things simple.

Hoping to have the printed prototype installed this afternoon. It won't be nearly as rigid as a metal piece, but should give a good idea as to whether or not the size/shape/idea works.

Matt