Building an Off Road Toolbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people are already carrying these but I always keep ratchet straps in my truck. I've used them just like these trac grabber deals:

https://www.amazon.com/Trac-Grabber-Unstuck-Traction-Solution-Cars/dp/B01BDWRECU

You can run them thru your wheel spokes and put the metal ratchet piece on top of your tire and cinch them down. MAKE SURE you have plenty of fender clearance, but on raptors we should all be good. I would not use them on the front wheels due to lack of clearance when turning. Also try to keep the wheel spin and speed to a minimum to keep from destroying the ratcheting piece and sending shrapnel everywhere lol.

Here's a video demonstrating using a 2x4 but I've never needed to go that far, nor do I like that giant piece of wood flinging around all over hell. If that thing comes undone you're likely to seriously jack up your fender at a minimum and possibly shredding brake lines or smashing up your shocks.. Gives you the idea though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUckU-vAqI

Before I had the max trax trays I've used this to get out of some deep snow and some seriously gnarly mud in Moab. After the mud event the ratchet strap was pretty much toast though (I had to cut the strap off the tire), so I would try to use some cheap ones if possible.

I have yet to try the trac grabbers but they do look intriguing.

Last edited:

LForward1

Reaction score
Hey guys, whats up ! Recently I ordered from amazon best tap and die set two kinds of sets. What do you think about
IRWIN HANSON – Tap and Die Set with Drill Bits
includes:
6 machine taps and dies
10 SAE taps and dies
2 pipe taps and dies
and 16 metric taps and dies.
The rest of the set includes the handles, adjusted and not, a two in one wrench, a drill bit set, a screwdriver, and a small set to extract screws as well.
And about - IRWIN Tools Metric Tap and Hex Die Set, 41-Piece
This makes for nineteen taps in all. Ther set comes with a manufacturer’s inventory and three wrenches, a TR-88, a TR-73, and a TR-50. It also comes with a pitch gauge and a screwdriver.

Try2LoveMyC4r

Reaction score
Hey guys, whats up ! Recently I ordered from amazon best tap and die set two kinds of sets. What do you think about
IRWIN HANSON – Tap and Die Set with Drill Bits
includes:
6 machine taps and dies
10 SAE taps and dies
2 pipe taps and dies
and 16 metric taps and dies.
The rest of the set includes the handles, adjusted and not, a two in one wrench, a drill bit set, a screwdriver, and a small set to extract screws as well.
And about - IRWIN Tools Metric Tap and Hex Die Set, 41-Piece
This makes for nineteen taps in all. Ther set comes with a manufacturer’s inventory and three wrenches, a TR-88, a TR-73, and a TR-50. It also comes with a pitch gauge and a screwdriver.

Hmm, looks good, I don't even know what to advise dude (

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
I've personally never seen anyone need a tap and die set on the trail.

whisler-117

Reaction score
This thread is ANCIENT but jesus it was useful. Thanks for the all the input. I also carry an axe and (kid you not) a smaller chainsaw in the bed. Run into a number of fallen trees along unmaintained backcountry roads that a tow strap or axe wouldn't be effective enough to handle. Also, BuiltRight makes a solid solution for mounting up and storing at least some gear in the bed - likely wouldn't work with a full bed rack though.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I've personally never seen anyone need a tap and die set on the trail.

ditto. I carry some crazy tools (including a vacuum bleeder) as I tend to be one of the folks fixing broken trucks. I have never given thought to a tap and die set.

take lots and lots of hoseclamps. parts store exhaust repair stuff, different types of epoxy and waterweld.