Building an Off Road Toolbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am new to the off roading world. I've been reading through these forums, preparing for my first off road experience, it has become painfully obvious I am really not prepared. So, in an attempt to get prepared, I've come asking your advise on what tools/equipment you would want in your toolbox when you're off road.

Tow Strap
D Ring Shackles
Jack (hydraulic / hi lift)
Air source (CO2 or Compressor)
Leather Gloves

Am I on the right track? I know I'm missing a TON of stuff, but I'm seeking your input.

Brad

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a short list of things you want... I use a Stanley tote 50 gallons.. Leather gloves, extra hook for winch, 5 clevis, jerk tow strap, static tow strap, 2 different heavy duty ties downs 3 inch, 25 foot long chain, tire repair kit, 2 snatch block, or block and tackle setup, emergency trauma kit stuffed with extra everything I can think of, 1 foot pad for hi lift jack, control for winch, 9000 pound winch, 180 piece mechanics tool set from Costco 199.99 and last but not least one 10,000 pound boat anchor for when there is nothing to hook to... Everything fits in the tote but the winch..

Attachments

• 2013-02-06_09-54-51_683.jpg
    2013-02-06_09-54-51_683.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 643
  • 2013-02-06_09-55-03_696.jpg
    2013-02-06_09-55-03_696.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 560
  • 2013-02-06_09-59-53_112.jpg
    2013-02-06_09-59-53_112.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Common wrench sizes on the Raptor that I carry. And other tools
10mm
15mm
18mm
21mm
27mm
29 or 30mm socked (lower shock bolt, probably overkill).
A small 3/8" drive socket set (the kobalt set with the pass through wrenches is good because it sort of acts like a deep socket and shallow socket set in one)
4 lb hammer
Small and Large Crescent
Small and Large Vice Grips
Lineman pliers
Channel locks
needle nose pliers
18" aluminum pipe wrench
screwdrivers (don't cheap out here)

Spare parts I carry.
IWE
Power Steering Pump
Wheel Speed Sensor
U joints

Fluids I carry
4 qts 5w20
2 qts ATF
1 qt gear lube 75-140 I think
half gal of ford antifreeze (gold or something like that).

Misc.
Zip Ties
Gorilla Tape
Shop Rags
Vacuum tubing
hose clamps
Ratchet straps
Bungee cords
Tire plug kit
Valair Compressor (its not as fast as CO2 but takes up way less room)
Silicone self fusing tape
Electrical tape

Recovery
Bubba rope with shackles
20' strap without as much give for flat towing
Hi Lift Handle All set (shovel, axe, sledge, etc,,,). I usually only carry the shovel and the sledge.
HF Floor jack on skid

Survival/first aid
Power Bars
Sunscreen/Bug Spray
Steripen
Epipen
Stop Clot
Sutures
Standard first aid kit
Packable wide brim hats
Survival blanket

When I think of more I'll add it. I can get most of this stuff into the truck along with a second spare, a yeti cooler, my wife, two dogs, camping gear etc...

Last edited:

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Purchased used, or when you upgrade you current parts, carry trail spares.
Tie-Rods, front axle shafts, wheel speed sensors, lug nuts are a few that come to mind.
Also, can't go wrong with a few bottles of RTV, zip-ties, ratchet straps
A lot of guys also bring a floor jack to change tires, but I like to carry a bottle jack too. It helps support smaller projects.
Spare fluids are good also, I usually carry enough differential fluid for one change and other fluids that may be susceptible to heat of system damage.

great list Trey

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My list is pretty similar to trey. Being a medic I carry more med supplies but I fit it all in the truck with two yetis, dog. No wife but dog rides shotgun. And I carry two spares. I also carry a roll of electrical tape, hose leak tape. Duct tape, 550 cord. Water and emergency med kit for the dog

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great stuff guys!

When I go off roading I always try to go with guys like you (and ones who carry even more gear and can use it). :smile: I know guys who carry portable welders and more.

Offroad Confucius says: "Always go off roading with people who have more experience (and tools) than you."

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Good call on the RTV, I usually would carry a tie rod too, forgot about that guy.

Also this list is what I would carry when I was running my raptor on one of my events. The same tools will go into the new prerunner on events, just so I have everyone covered.