Budget lights that don't suck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mj23polaris

Reaction score
Hey guys new raptor owner here it's a 2010 6.2 scab. I'm blowing my budget on maintenance stuff like fluids, front end parts and shock rebuild. Buttttttt I'm wanting to get more lighting. Wanting to add some spot pattern a-pillar lights to assist the pretty weak headlights.

I'd love to go the whole made in USA Baja/rigid route but the budget says no to $800 on 2 lights.

So what are some options I should look into?

Thanks guys

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF, where it’s pictures or you really have a prius.
It would probably help to know what your budget is?

Depending on what you’re looking for, you can always buy, upgrade later and re-task your current lights. Example:

You decide on a set of squadron driving combo lights and throw them on the a pillar. Later, you decide XL80’s would definitely improve the quality of your off road experience, so you replace the squadrons with the XL80s.
You don’t just toss the squadrons, you reposition them :)

I bought inexpensive lights off Amazon at first and they lasted about 18 months or so. The pods stopped working, and I had 2 LED bars. The bars fared better; I did get some water intrusion, but they still worked.

Lighting vendors here usually offer some good black Friday deals on lights, so save your pennies. 2020 sales were a little lackluster though, so step it up for ’21, ok guys? :p

Baja Design lights are expensive. Shockingly so if you’re new to the Raptor and off roading or returning to it after other hobbies. That said, they throw a lot of light and a long way. Rigid is also well liked here.

I was taunting @4x4TruckLEDs.com in a thread once about needing easy financing terms. Mister Smarty Pants quipped:
You can always use PayPal credit; 6 months interest free...

Sometimes I really hate Adam.

OP
OP
M

mj23polaris

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF, where it’s pictures or you really have a prius.
It would probably help to know what your budget is?

Depending on what you’re looking for, you can always buy, upgrade later and re-task your current lights. Example:

You decide on a set of squadron driving combo lights and throw them on the a pillar. Later, you decide XL80’s would definitely improve the quality of your off road experience, so you replace the squadrons with the XL80s.
You don’t just toss the squadrons, you reposition them :)

I bought inexpensive lights off Amazon at first and they lasted about 18 months or so. The pods stopped working, and I had 2 LED bars. The bars fared better; I did get some water intrusion, but they still worked.

Lighting vendors here usually offer some good black Friday deals on lights, so save your pennies. 2020 sales were a little lackluster though, so step it up for ’21, ok guys? :p

Baja Design lights are expensive. Shockingly so if you’re new to the Raptor and off roading or returning to it after other hobbies. That said, they throw a lot of light and a long way. Rigid is also well liked here.

I was taunting @4x4TruckLEDs.com in a thread once about needing easy financing terms. Mister Smarty Pants quipped:
You can always use PayPal credit; 6 months interest free...

Sometimes I really hate Adam.
IMG_20210719_150043_416.jpg
The truck haha, I guess I didn't do alot of research before jumping on here and posting. I had briefly looked as some Baja designs offerings specifically the xl80 and thought wholly ****. But further investigation I'll probably grab squadron pro spots for the a-pillar and squadron sports in the fog pockets, they seem to fit my budget wile being quality

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah the only thing you gain by going cheap is that you wire up for more than you need and when budget allows, you’re already wired, you just swap in the lights, maybe a couple / few connectors and you’re done.

I did similar when I upgraded. I bought a couple pair of squadrons, one pro, one sport. next Black Friday, I upped my game and move the sports out back. No, they’re not cheap but you can take them with you to the next truck if you want. I got the xl80’s last, they’re icing on the cake for sure.

#BlackRaptorsMatter

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can spend a lot or a lot on lights :)

That's how I see it. Reason being, you get bit by the bug and want more!

But with that said we DO have some economical solutions.

Baja Designs are THE go to light it seems in the Raptor world. Why not, we drive the best trucks we want the best lights. Lifetime warranty and just awesome lights. Can't beat it.

BUT that doesn't mean you can throw out quality if you're not spending a lot. Diode Dynamics have stepped up their game the last few years and have a really nice light that's not going to break the bank. $180 for a pair of lights is a pretty good deal (for the sports). You ARE Missing a few things you'd get with Baja though... like a lifetime warranty and a wiring harness. Diode Dynamics have an 8 year warranty and the wiring harnesses are sold separate (just make your own honestly).

We stock more lights then anybody else we've ever spoken to... which means we can ship fast and help you find the right light as well. We've got a little something for everybody.

Shoot me a message if you need help. We can work within your budget. What we don't do is CHEAP though. I won't sell you triple fog kit for $299 because you won't get anything quality. I also won't sell you some $99 pillar lights, because you're going to have issues down the road.

Buy once, Cry once. I've been saying that for years.

Start off slow as well. You don't need to go nuts right away (although it's hard not to). Start with a reverse kit. Add some fogs later. Add some pillar lights later. Add a lower grill/upper grill light later.

We're also able to save you a bit of money since we make our own brackets here on Long Island and design our own wiring harnesses. Soooo you've got options.

Just reach out to us :)

Here's our demo truck to keep you up at night (all bolt-on items shown here)

Raptor2.jpg

Raptor3.jpg

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. I have a 20" Rigid and a 54" no-name Chinese bar and the Rigid puts out more light. The 54" looks cool at least...I guess. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy it again.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your Raptor and welcome to FRF.

I agree with Smurfslayer, I purchased cheaper lights and upgraded if they failed. Don't go cheap on the wiring or the relays. Set it up for plug and play. Old lights die, just plug in the new ones and you're ready to go.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep an eye out on FRF. Lots of members selling lights.

Got a set of S1 flush mounts for half price.

BF is a great time to buy also. Lots of deals and discounts.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buy some cheapie off Amazon. Open it up, slather the seals in silicone and put it back together.

It's only be 40% as bright as a good light, but at the price of the tax on the more expensive light- it's still tons brighter than the stock headlights. $50 vs $800. Is the extra money and light worth it? Only you can answer that- it all depends on what you are doing with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free