GEN 1 Budget Build help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff302

Reaction score
At some point in the (hopefully) near future, I intend to upgrade the factory Sony system in my 2012. I am no audiophile nor teenager, so my intent is to keep it simple and fairly inexpensive. After much research on this forum and many other sources, I think (hope?) I have figured out the best route for me to take. My goal is greatly improved clarity and punch throughout the frequency range. No muddiness, no booming, but I do want to not just hear, but also feel the hammering bass-work in many of the great Hard Rock / Metal tracks (think the double-bass in the ****** of Metallica's One, and Fieldy's bass-line in just about any Korn song).
If those of you that have FAR more knowledge and experience on these things than I do, could please provide your input, I would greatly appreciate it.
First, a couple questions I couldn't find concrete answers for:
1. Are the factory door and pillar speakers all 4ohm?
2. Will the FORscan eq removal fix the scaling that occurs as the volume increases, or only the base settings?
3. I believe the answer is yes, but is it correct that the factory amp has a separate channel for each speaker location, to include the pillars and center?

For my build, here is what I plan:
1. If I correctly understand what the FORscan eq delete mod will do (remove the factory head unit eq settings, allowing all channels to send out full range signals, subject only to the crossover points built into the factory amp), I do not intend to add a DSP, AmpPro, or any other such device.
2. Replace the pillar tweeters with Hertz Dieci, or possibly another similarly priced option.
3. Replace all 4 door speakers with Polk db572, or possibly Kicker KSC68, or JBL GX862. Any thoughts on these, or any other good bang-for-the-buck options I'm missing?
4. Using the factory sub leads, install either a self-powered 8-10" sub with high level inputs, or a standalone amp and sub/box. I like the idea of a self-powered unit since it adds to the simplicity, but I haven't found one yet that gets down to 20hz and doesn't cost $300+, except one made by Rockville, and I'm a bit leary of trying an unknown brand. Anybody have any experience with their self-powered subs?

Does this sound reasonable and logical overall, or am I complete bonehead? Is there anything I am missing, or that you might recommend adding or changing, provided it doesn't impact my goals of lower cost and simplicity too badly (i.e. like maybe baffles behind the door speakers, sound deadening, etc)?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Last edited: