Brown Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old skool - Westley's Bleche-Wite...

And these things "brown up" pretty quickly!

Attachments

• B794244C-69ED-4CD6-B99C-C5319F60E5E9.jpeg
    B794244C-69ED-4CD6-B99C-C5319F60E5E9.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 32

hpschrank

Reaction score
As mentioned above the Dawn Powerwash does pretty well. Spray it on generously and let it soak for awhile. May require 2 applications. I’ve noticed the “browning” seems more pronounced in the front tires vs the back so not sure if brake dust is a factor as well.

CANES1

Reaction score
I need some help on a good tire cleaner. Power washed tires and tried some 303 wheel cleaner first to remove brown film on tire. Still had the brown look. I tried greased lightning but no big difference. I dress my tires with 3 M Tire Essentials don’t know if this has anything to do with the brown left when I clean th
I need some help on a good tire cleaner. Power washed tires and tried some 303 wheel cleaner first to remove brown film on tire. Still had the brown look. I tried greased lightning but no big difference. I dress my tires with 3 M Tire Essentials don’t know if this has anything to do with the brown left when I clean them.
I need some help on a good tire cleaner. Power washed tires and tried some 303 wheel cleaner first to remove brown film on tire. Still had the brown look. I tried greased lightning but no big difference. I dress my tires with 3 M Tire Essentials don’t know if this has anything to do with the brown left when I clean them.
I use superclean on mine and it takes all of the brown off.

Attachments

• 1ADB5FAC-F533-4E1A-A5A3-F65EF2472196.png
    1ADB5FAC-F533-4E1A-A5A3-F65EF2472196.png
    575.9 KB · Views: 12

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always used super clean degreaser spray (purple bottle). Usually works wonders, I just spray some all on the tire itself (avoid the wheels) and let it sit a bit. Then I scrub in circles with a medium strength brush for a bit and wash it off. Usually comes out looking brand new!

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is by far the best product out there to clean rubber tires, hands down. I was so impressed with it that my next purchase was a gallon of it. You will be impressed.

Then after cleaned and no longer brown. I use this to shine it but I don't like a glossy looking shine. Dilute this stuff with distilled water and you can make 3 bottles out of the 1. The diluted version doesn't make it so shiny but gives it a good new tire look.

SA Raptor

Reaction score
Simply spray Oven Cleaner, preferably containing containing caustic soda on the tires. Leave for a few minutes. Brush the tire and rinse off . Do not spray Oven Cleaner on the rims. Will clean white letters on the tires as well without removing the white paint.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used Griot's Garage Black Satin Tire Coating on spare tires that had turned brown. I just sprayed it on and used a foam pad to even it out and get all of the sidewall covered. The tires looked like new after application and just needed touch up every 3-4 car washes. If they are really brown they will probably need to be cleaned first using one of the methods above though. This is the only satin finish tire "shine" I've ever found. I'm not a fan of the shiny look, just want them to look like they did new which this product achieves. It will also dry quickly and not sling all over the side of your vehicle like just about every other tire shine product sold. I also found it works great on the running boards for these trucks. My boards had faded badly due to sun exposure. I applied a light coating of this product and they looked like new again. I was worried it might make them slick but they have enough texture it wasn't a problem at all.