GEN 2 BroncoAZ’s Scab is home!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this week was an emotional rollercoaster, I was working in Albuquerque Sunday to Thursday. Monday evening I was at a brewery getting a beer and a Leadfood Screw parked close to my table on the patio, I can’t say I loved the color that day. Tuesday morning I received an email that my 2020 Scab 802A Leadfoot was cancelled (supposedly by Ford due to Covid) and that my Diamondback HD was being delivered that day by UPS freight without warning. My wife handled the freight delivery and I was on the hunt for another truck. My dad, who is always trying to be Mr. helpful, went online to look for Raptors for me, to my surprise he found three that I wasn’t aware of. One of them was a 2020 Scab 802A in Velocity Blue with an MSRP about $5K higher than the cancelled truck I ordered, it was in Albuquerque so I figured I’d check it out.

I went to the dealer after work Tuesday and found the truck with beadlocks, bedliner, and full decals hood and bedside. The Velocity Blue was probably my third or fourth choice behind Leadfoot and Race Red or white, upon first glance I liked the VB but wasn’t in love with it. I proceeded to tell the sales guy about my cancelled truck and exactly what I didn’t like about this truck, basically the $4500 worth of extra crap I didn’t want to pay for. We went back to talk numbers and his sales manager had gone for the day, the other sales manager was having a battle royale with an angry customer, so the sales guy called the other manager and let me speak to him. I told that guy the same story about how it wasn’t the truck I wanted but I might be a buyer if they would deal. I offered $500 over invoice and ended the call, there was no discussion about add ons, he called back and told the sales guy to do it. It was closing time so I left figuring I would probably buy something else. I had narrowed my options down to about four trucks scattered around the country, with a Scab 802A or a Scab 801A in white both in transit to AZ. I made a game plan to call on other trucks the next day.

7C1DFEEF-985C-4D7A-82B3-17A45EC10591.jpeg

Wednesday I called on the AZ trucks and there was no room to deal, the dealer was sticking at MSRP plus $3K in crap add ons (tint, “desert protection package”, and some other snake oil dealer profit mechanisms). The next closest trucks were in Michigan and Florida, neither dealer was budging off MSRP. I decided to go look at the blue truck again. When I got to the dealer I knew immediately that I was buying the blue truck. The sales guy and the sales manager from the previous day were both gone. I spoke to a new sales guy and told him I was there to buy the truck for the $500 deal with zero add ons as discussed with the other manager by phone the previous day. The sales guy came back and said they would do the deal as specified. I already had financing from Navy Federal at 2.29% for 72 months that they couldn’t beat. The numbers came back correct with no hidden junk and I went off to finance to finish the deal. There were a couple issues miscommunicated between the dealer, my bank, my sales guy, and me, so when I went to pick up the truck Thursday I couldn’t, I had to stay in ABQ for another night to get another loan check. I went back Friday with a new loan check and finished the deal.

The delivery on Friday went smooth, and the dealer agreed to hold my sedan until I return to Albuquerque for work in a couple weeks. I checked the oil on the Raptor and found it to be half a quart low (thanks for those who suggested to check) and the tires were at 35 psi. I had them add the 1/2 quart and adjust the tires to 38 front 36 rear.

CC96B626-8AD2-4223-B6BB-0529E3704658.jpeg

I went across to the Home Depot and got some much needed supplies for the 320 mile trip home across I-40. I went to town with the delicate surface masking tape and the duct tape to prevent rock chips on the busy highway. The truck looked ridiculous, but it’s function first on this trip. I made the trip home with several stops to adjust or reapply tape and filled up with fuel in Gallop just in case. Lots more duct tape was added along the way, and the tape on the A pillars was a lost cause so it got removed about 50 miles into the trip. I varied the speed and gearing on the way home to help with break in, going between 70-80 with a few jaunts to 85-90. From Gallop to Flagstaff the computer showed 18.3 mpg average for most of the way then dropped to 17.5 mpg on the climb into Flagstaff.

802A5AB8-CA8E-4B43-8EE4-A50961F03C44.jpeg EE3B7760-DD7D-4917-93F5-D8AE018B036B.jpeg
F9206C95-4EC2-4AF1-8E13-CB0A0B6C417D.jpeg
When I arrived home a couple of neighbors ooohed and ahhhed at the truck, my wife made a tasty dinner, and I unpacked/inspected my Diamondback cover for install tomorrow.

The best thing about the drive home was no back pain, normally after 3+ hours in the seat of my sedan my back is hurting, I was in the Raptor for at least 6 hours today with no issues. Other things of note, the lane departure works well, the Bluetooth phone is the best I’ve ever had, and I love this truck. Most importantly you can see it isn’t a Prius, unlike what @911 Crazy is suspected to drive daily...

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy told me he’s coming to the house with a heat gun to remove the bedside decals tomorrow. He was already making some “I Like Men” decals to stick over them if I didn’t remove them. Never one to back down from a challenge I put it on the hood in duct tape for the ride home.

6D4B2CDD-F2BB-43B6-BA9E-ED1582ACCF2A.png

I also discovered how harsh the coating on the side steps can be on bare leg if you are lazy getting out of the truck and just slide out.

FC376B25-D8CD-4A29-9B46-79BA5EFB674B.jpeg

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bout time......

first time i heard of masking tape and duct tape. dont baby it too much or you wont enjoy it. kinda like a harley....

I only had 550 posts in a year before getting a truck, unlike some people who still don’t have one... My order getting cancelled meant I got my truck about 1-2 months sooner than expected. Even if I knew before I couldn’t have purchased earlier due to a refinance (rate decrease, no cash out) that didn’t fund until late last week.

I used the tape to avoid damage prior to PPF next week, I’ve seen it done on exotic cars that need to be delivered longer distances. The light purple tape really wasn’t sticking, so I used the duct tape only on top of it to keep it on. That stretch of I-40 from ABQ to Flagstaff is always rough on my cars with chips and broken glass. Once it’s got PPF and mud flaps (either rockblocks or RA) and is broken in I’ll be done babying it. I may get ceramic done next week as well.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful truck! I had full PPF put on my Raptor and it has helped. I still get pinstriping, however all but the deepest scratches self heal.

Enjoy!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only had 550 posts in a year before getting a truck, unlike some people who still don’t have one... My order getting cancelled meant I got my truck about 1-2 months sooner than expected. Even if I knew before I couldn’t have purchased earlier due to a refinance (rate decrease, no cash out) that didn’t fund until late last week.

I used the tape to avoid damage prior to PPF next week, I’ve seen it done on exotic cars that need to be delivered longer distances. The light purple tape really wasn’t sticking, so I used the duct tape only on top of it to keep it on. That stretch of I-40 from ABQ to Flagstaff is always rough on my cars with chips and broken glass. Once it’s got PPF and mud flaps (either rockblocks or RA) and is broken in I’ll be done babying it. I may get ceramic done next week as well.
yeah you havent caught up to SOMEONE yet...... but you did get your truck first. i also think i lost my license plate on my trailer on that stretch of highway. got caught up in a massive wind storm a few years back.

but congrats on the truck. you can now drop the "i have a prius" title

gdestiny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking truck. Glad everything worked out for you. I’ll have to use the tape idea on my next out of town vehicle purchase.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Truck looks good. Enjoy it. I've seen quite a few guys do the blue painters tape with some duct tape over it for transport. I was going to have to travel for mine and I would have done the same thing to get it home. I was fortunate enough to end up finding a local dealer that did a $500 over invoice deal on my order.