Bronco Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There was already a Ranger Raptor…the designation is being used only on high speed off road capable products. It’s not like they’re slapping the name on an Escape. The Bronco Raptor most certainly is legit, and it’s clearly worthy of the Raptor name.

It's totally logical and defensible on the logic. But people aren't logical. The entire pseudoscience of economics comes to grief on this one fact. The Raptor has incredible name recognition. It's iconic, one word, short and sweet, with a vivid image associated with it. From a branding standpoint, it's exactly where you want to be. No one really thinks about the Raptor as an F-150 except for a few pedantic car geeks. Trying to leverage that across product lines is risky because you risk losing everything you've achieved. When you have a family, F-150 Raptor, Ranger Raptor, Bronco Raptor, whatever, the consumer doesn't have a single vivid image in their mind any more. Instead they have a poorly imagined group of vehicles and a vague idea that "Raptor" means something about off road s**t. It's the very definition of dilution. The attempt to extend the halo often results in losing the halo altogether.

Ranger Raptor was a mistake, but at least they didn't compound it by selling it here. Bronco Raptor? Is it a Bronco? Is it a Raptor? WTF? Let's confuse potential customers and see how that works out. Let's make people say "F-150 Raptor" instead of "Raptor". Really? Ford is playing with fire. I sure hope they know what they're doing.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. Ford tried to make a Mustang brand and failed miserably. The Raptor is a different story…. That is a package applied to an f150. With that, comes the use of it as a package for other vehicles, and is why there is a bronco raptor, and the ranger raptor is also coming.
*Jokingly*… they cannot make an Escape raptor since there is an Escape Mustang. That would mean an escape mustang or mustang escape… any way you slice it, fords marketing department needs fully fired. They haven’t got much right in 8+yrs. Long term effects will really bite them.

raiderofthelostark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might just be me, but I’d probably look first at something like this before the new Bronco Raptor.

Attachments

• 446236F4-984B-4DAF-909B-AF76C5BFBB56.jpeg
    446236F4-984B-4DAF-909B-AF76C5BFBB56.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DEBDC6E5-031F-4E35-A780-11609F010B15.jpeg
    DEBDC6E5-031F-4E35-A780-11609F010B15.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 6
  • F62F7AF0-94BE-4EDF-AEF4-4B2EBB390C04.jpeg
    F62F7AF0-94BE-4EDF-AEF4-4B2EBB390C04.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 6

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was already a Ranger Raptor…the designation is being used only on high speed off road capable products. It’s not like they’re slapping the name on an Escape. The Bronco Raptor most certainly is legit, and it’s clearly worthy of the Raptor name.

Leveraging brand recognition is a smart strategy, they’re not “watering it down” on a $70,000 Bronco that has the same hardware and capability of an F-150 Raptor.
since you had quoted me, I wanted to quickly reply...

But first, I wanted to thank you for the high quality of knowledge and help in your areas of technical expertise around these vehicles. I have personally found it helpful.

as for marketing and branding, your opinion is noted.

it is out of sync with most effective / professional brand managers across consumer products industries.

it is, however, noted.

Last edited:

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's totally logical and defensible on the logic. But people aren't logical. The entire pseudoscience of economics comes to grief on this one fact. The Raptor has incredible name recognition. It's iconic, one word, short and sweet, with a vivid image associated with it. From a branding standpoint, it's exactly where you want to be. No one really thinks about the Raptor as an F-150 except for a few pedantic car geeks. Trying to leverage that across product lines is risky because you risk losing everything you've achieved. When you have a family, F-150 Raptor, Ranger Raptor, Bronco Raptor, whatever, the consumer doesn't have a single vivid image in their mind any more. Instead they have a poorly imagined group of vehicles and a vague idea that "Raptor" means something about off road s**t. It's the very definition of dilution. The attempt to extend the halo often results in losing the halo altogether.

Ranger Raptor was a mistake, but at least they didn't compound it by selling it here. Bronco Raptor? Is it a Bronco? Is it a Raptor? WTF? Let's confuse potential customers and see how that works out. Let's make people say "F-150 Raptor" instead of "Raptor". Really? Ford is playing with fire. I sure hope they know what they're doing.
whoa!

imagine that.

on a message board for vehicles that can approach $100k, it’s almost like there are some business professionals here who know something about brand management.

;-)

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We...well some, remember when BMW started naming all "sporty" vehicles as their iconic M SERIES.

528I - M Package
750 - M package
328 - M Package

Without having the actual heart and soul of an M Series vehicle. I can understand the naming scheme being hated for the Bronco Raptor. There is only a few real M series vehicles, M1, M3, M5, and M6, same for the RAPTOR. There is only one RAPTOR.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We...well some, remember when BMW started naming all "sporty" vehicles as their iconic M SERIES.

528I - M Package
750 - M package
328 - M Package

Without having the actual heart and soul of an M Series vehicle. I can understand the naming scheme being hated for the Bronco Raptor. There is only a few real M series vehicles, M1, M3, M5, and M6, same for the RAPTOR. There is only one RAPTOR.

this right here is true dilution and confusion for the consumer all at the same time.

this does make a lot of logical sense, and really we dont know their true intention of slapping the name on these trucks. Is it lazy? Possibly. Is it creative? No, definitely not. Is it an attempt to group a set of vehicles together with a like minded look and functionality? Yes.

You know another halo trim that exists/existed for a long time that does the same thing? Any Type-R Honda. Yes, its a comparison of two different types of vehicles, but their marketing and naming convention directly reflects their capability. If you mention the word Type-R, any car geek will know its the absolute best version of a particular Honda (NSX, Integra, Civic, and to a lesser extent the Accord). I think the Raptor line/brand is trying to acheive the same thing. Now if Ford does what BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus does and named their vehicles the way they do (examples: M/M-package, AMG/AMG package, RS/S-line, F/F-sport), then I would tend to wholly agree with you. However, I think that those makers have truly diluted their model names and the consumer suffers because they see badges that are similar, wheels that look alike, similar-ish aero kits etc...If Ford went and offered a so-called "Raptor Package" on a lower trim then this would be the equivalent to those lux brands, I guess the Tremor would be that pack, but at least its a different name!

Thats my 2 cents about all of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free