GEN 2 Broken pano roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any idea after this is repaired will it last any longer? Mine isn’t working but haven’t decided if/when I’ll get fixed. No warranty

I would assume the work would be warrantied for a period of time. That's a good question to ask.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any idea after this is repaired will it last any longer? Mine isn’t working but haven’t decided if/when I’ll get fixed. No warranty

My previous stealership had a 12/12 warranty on their work.

The 2 most talked about workarounds to the busted moon roof tracks are:
1) regularly lube up the glass seals, preferably with the super expensive, unobtainium infused Krytox grease.
2) if the glass hasn’t been opened in a couple weeks or more, less time in a hot, dry climate, open to the vent position FIRST while gently pushing upward on the rear of the front panel glass to provide some “assist”. Then close down the vented glass and open it to the rear.

Most people report this is helpful in keeping the moonroof track from breaking for at least a longer period of time.

Reaction score
So, as other's have experienced a few times before, my panoramic roof broke last Saturday. The glass is fine, the motor is fine, just seems like the plastic parts broken. Heard the sound of plastic snapping as it was opening. Unfortunately, it won't even close now, and I've got it covered in a wrap.

Got an appt, with dealership to have it fixed on Friday. For those that have had this issue, what sort of cost am I looking at? Assuming parts are in, how long can I expect it to be stuck at the dealership?

Same thing happened to mine a few weeks ago. If you hold the close button down and let it go right as it closes it will stay closed. The dealer said it is a common problem and known issue and they replaced the rails same day and was covered under warranty.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine a few weeks ago. If you hold the close button down and let it go right as it closes it will stay closed. The dealer said it is a common problem and known issue and they replaced the rails same day and was covered under warranty.

Holding the close button down won't force a close for me. The motor will struggle for a bit, stop, and fully open again. I did manage to get it to stay half way by pressing the close button at just the right time, but that's the best I can do.

I meant to take pictures last night before it got dark, but ended up taking my son's old exhaust the metal recycler. Got $2 for it!

MDD

Reaction score
I had a broken pano due to a rock hitting the glass 2 months after owning the truck. Insurance claim. Original estimate was $700 but in the end with FOMOCO glass and new track it was $4k! Original estimate included reman glass which didn’t exist. Don’t recall if I ever got a breakdown on track, glass and labor. I’ve kryox’d the seal but don’t open hardly ever...

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets hung up a bit, normally it’s fine but I heard the dreaded pop the other day. However, I was still able to open it fine using the push up on the rear trick. I had lubed it up a couple of months ago with silicone and I guess that lasted only a short time. Hopefully the pop wasn’t serious. I’ll try the silicone for a bit again and try to be more regular with it now that I know it’s limits. I’ll cross my fingers for you and for me.