Broken in last night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me 4 months after I bought it. The trucks with this style door handle are extremely easy to open. It takes about 15 seconds and a pair of channel locks. I complained to Ford and the dealer and they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. I live in the Houston area. There are ways to prevent it it but it requires removing the door lock and losing the ability to open the truck with a key. There is plenty of info on the internet about how they do it and how to prevent it. I believe this is a design flaw and Ford should do something about it. They didn't get anything but a pack of cigs but it still pissed me off. They went right for the center console and touched nothing else. This tells me they were probably looking for a gun. The dealer wanted close to $500 to replace the door handle. I fixed the problem with $3 and a trip to Home Depot. Remove the lock cylinder and glue a plastic plug in its place. Like I said, it secures the truck but you can no longer use the key to open the door. This is not unique to Raptors. Any Ford with that style door handle can be easily opened.

I had received this in the mail the other day and it`s regarding a class action lawsuit regarding the door latch on Ford trucks.

It states that:You may be entitled to a settlement to money if you paid for a repair to address a door latch defect in your Ford F Series Vehicle or you are dissatisfied with the door latch performance. You have to check if your truck is range 2015-2018

Define performance? I received a notice about the door latch freezing and my dealer told me I`d be better off leaving it alone lol

WWW.FSeriesDoorLatchSettlement.com

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing i'm concerned with removing lock is if you battery goes dead . Keypad will work on lower voltages but total dead your done. You have to jimmy hood release to open hood , or i was thinking of plugging into trailer plug to at least get some power going to use key pad . Pin 4 is positive and pin 1 is ground . Have not investigated this fully.

https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram

I usually wire in a rear winch lead direct to the main battery on my trucks with a set of quick disconnect jumper cables, I see no reason why I couldn’t use them in reverse to power my truck if needed. It wouldn’t surprise me if the trailer battery circuit went through something else making what you propose not possible. Another option would be a pair of accessible leads somewhere up front that could be used to power the door locks at least.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Other option is popping the hood latch through grill . If positive pin 4 of trailer wiring is connected to a relay .

MRFORDMAN

Reaction score
Hotels suck. I flew out to the twin cities from Utah a week ago and picked up my raptor. The most stressful part of planning the trip was finding lodging where my new truck wouldn't get messed with. I opted for a B&B well outside of Rapid City and I'm glad I did.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really sucks and thank God nothing valuable was taken. I`m going way back to Toyota pickups, when the first extended cabs were available. Mine was broken into 2 times, once by removing the passenger side extra cab window and throwing into the parking lot. Nothing of value lost. The second time I went out to get my jacket out of my truck and is along with other items were gone but the truck was locked, well about the same time they had a segment on TV about how easy it was to break into a Toyota pickup and all you needed was a pencil with an eraser on it.

Lift up the door handle and stick the pencil in eraser first through the opening created for the door latch and it would go right to the door lock rod, the eraser gave it the grip it needed and in 30 seconds you could be in. On TV no less......

Was installing the JimmyJammer kit just labor intensive, and do you have to completely remove the door panel? It definitely seems like cheap insurance

I guess the days of old time installation of a hidden kill switch are gone. My brother wired up his Mitsubishi GT3000 VR4 to a switch on the dash that was factory installed.

After watching the show Border Wars it`s pretty impressive with the sequence of switches that need to be pushed a certain amount of time along with other steps to get a secret panel open. I guess the same could be done to start a truck ??

I forgot to mention that after my truck was broken into I have never left the registration and insurance card in it

It took a couple hours, and was a bit of a PITA. The hardest part, as I recall, was prying off a little access panel inside the door cubby. It took some wiggling and cursing, and I did break off one clip- which on a week-old $65k truck is kind of nerve-racking.

The peace-of-mind is good, though. I also chose my bed cover specifically because it was at least a little more difficult than most to get into.

No shit: I’m current sitting on the balcony at my hotel, having a bourbon and a smoke, over-looking my truck. It’s got just over $40k in precision .338 ammo in the bed, that I’m delivering tomorrow. No way was I going to hand-truck it into the hotel. Just gotta hope that no POS gets curious about the slight sag in my suspension.

Only thing i'm concerned with removing lock is if you battery goes dead . Keypad will work on lower voltages but total dead your done. You have to jimmy hood release to open hood , or i was thinking of plugging into trailer plug to at least get some power going to use key pad . Pin 4 is positive and pin 1 is ground . Have not investigated this fully.

https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram

I think I’m going to do the drop-legs right off the battery line is suggested below.

You’d probably get away with hooking a trickle charger up through your trailer lights, but I think trying to jump it through those wires would draw enough amperage to burn them.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joke backfire 101.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free