Broken front camera lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This weekend I noticed that my front camera lens is broken! It has a couple nice cracks through it. It still works, but the cracks make the image look dirty. I don't see ANY evidence of an impact. It looks like moisture inside and I'm assuming it froze - breaking the lens.

Anyone else had this issue? It's going into the dealer on Thursday for this and a couple other things.

This is a 2012 with 35,500 miles.

Come back and tell us how things go on Thursday, Dane. I'll hang around to see what your results are and to make sure you don't need my help.

Crystal

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Come back and tell us how things go on Thursday, Dane. I'll hang around to see what your results are and to make sure you don't need my help.

Crystal

Will do. It's going in for the following:

1) Broken Lens
2) Weird sticking/chirping from the shocks
3) Oil on the valve cover at the air intake line (this one worries me, discussed in this thread: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/why-would-oil-show-up-oil-cap-afe-intake-37672/)

Hopefully all turns out well, I'm just under 36,000 miles (but I have an extended warranty too).

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sooo... current status

Dealer hasn't addressed camera lens, but I have a feeling they're going to blame it on dumb luck and say no warranty.

Dealer says weird shock noises are normal, read a bulletin from Ford about it

Dealer says valve cover oil is due to the AFE - poor quality hose, oil soaking through it, but nothing else wrong.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Crystal

Well, things went as I expected - not well. Ford won't warranty the camera - $285 to replace. I'm not taking them up on it.

What was that motto again? "Built Ford" what?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Well, things went as I expected - not well. Ford won't warranty the camera - $285 to replace. I'm not taking them up on it.

What was that motto again? "Built Ford" what?

What did they say was the cause?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
They're saying impact.

Have them save you the old part so you can further examine. I'd agree that impact is the cause, as it isn't heated or anything, but who knows.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have them save you the old part so you can further examine. I'd agree that impact is the cause, as it isn't heated or anything, but who knows.

I'm not having them fix it. If I want to fix it, I imagine I can find one and do it myself for less than that.

Keep an eye out for a Wanted post from me for a camera! I'm doubting I can replace just the damned lens.