Broken Down within 350 miles: Turbo gave out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I never buy a first year model. Issues are more than likely to happen in the first year than later years. Hope it all gets sorted out and you have many trouble free miles.
Not the first year for that motor though. Agreed otherwise.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. The bearings in the center housing of the turbo must have seized and pretty much exploded for metal to make it back through the oil return into the oil pan. Good luck!

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny comment. The motor has been around for years. This is not a first year model for anything other than the interior and the rear suspension, 37s, fog lights.

There will always be a very small percentage of every new automobile that will have a mechanical failure. No manufacturer is exempt from this.
I never said anything about it being something that only affects Ford’s. My statement is true for any first year model of anything ever. First year will have the most issues.

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol! Your statement would be valid if it was a new engine with new turbos BUT no. It is the same exact engine used since 2017. Obviously it is a defect with the turbos which it why they blew up within a few hundred miles.
My statement stands true because it’s still the first model year of a redesign with many new components.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was the engine redesigned? NO.

I get it. You are waiting until mid 2022 to buy one so that you will have peace of mind that it is not the 1st year.
I'm with ya on the engine thing, well I was anyway, until I read the thread just now that Goosetuned just posted, showing the Gen 3 makes more horsepower and torque than the Gen 2 did, both bone stock.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with ya on the engine thing, well I was anyway, until I read the thread just now that Goosetuned just posted, showing the Gen 3 makes more horsepower and torque than the Gen 2 did, both bone stock.
The gen2 HP and torque was limited in 1st and 2nd gear to control axle wrap. There is no axle wrap with a 5 link rear so Ford removed the limit in 1st and 2nd gear. Ford talked about this when the gen3 was introduced.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough that happened, hope the 7-10 days is accurate. Guess engines aren’t the supply bottleneck..