Broken Down within 350 miles: Turbo gave out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteWidow18

Reaction score
Hey all, I picked up a 2021 Raptor (3rd Raptor to own) in LeadFoot on 35’s last Wednesday.

Pros: Purchased for LESS than MSRP

Cons: Truck left me stranded 2 hours from home in the middle of the night. Videos Attached

Details:
At 317 miles & around 36 hours into my ownership (Thursday @ 10:30PM) the truck lost power on the interstate as I was about 2 hours from home. While taking the soonest exit for a gas station, I noticed the CEL flashing as if there was misfire. As soon as I got to the gas station, the truck stalled out with loads of white smoke coming from both tailpipes. Still confused as to what exactly was wrong, I started the truck again when I noticed the oil pressure drop from 40psi once started to 10-12psi, then stalled out, still pouring white smoke out the tailpipes when the engine was on.

I was literally less than a mile away from a Ford Dealer, but for some reason I was adamant that the truck be brought to my hometown dealership, mainly for convenience (was quoted $620 by Ford Roadside and was fine with it) but I was unsuccessful in obtaining a tow truck through Ford Roadside Assistance after waiting over 2 hours and on 2 different dispatch requests. I ended up getting a $250 Uber home and abandoned the truck at the gas station for the night….worked out cheaper for me in the end!

I did text the dealer GM around 1AM as I was on my way home in the Uber and had a response back by 4AM, when he woke, telling me he would have my truck picked up from the gas station and brought to the home dealership (~120 miles away) along with a new truck delivered to my home to drive until they figure out what happened.

By Monday, the service foreman found the passenger side turbo to have failed (apparently turbine came apart) and also found metal shavings in the engine oil. Ford Corp has approved to replace the entire motor & both turbos from what I was told. Apparently the lead time on the laundry list of parts is 7-10 days, which I find to be unbelievable, especially in todays economic climate, but hey let’s see.

In closing, I haven’t found there to be anyone else that has reported this same issue so I’m hoping I’m the only one that has to experience this freak defect. I will say that I’ve never been stranded by any vehicle I’ve ever owned so let’s just say that was an humbling experience, for better words. I do find myself to be much more forgiving in this situation solely for 2 reasons:
1) I got the truck for $1900 BELOW MSRP ($77,920), unheard of right?

2) My dealer showed incredible customer service from getting my truck from over 120 miles away to dropping me off a replacement truck at my home all within 12 hours from the time of occurrence.

Will keep this thread updated once I hear more info and get more details.

Attachments

• A72EA7EC-439D-42F0-87BB-BC7FAA879856.jpeg
    A72EA7EC-439D-42F0-87BB-BC7FAA879856.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 338
  • 80DAF12F-9C26-4753-B23F-E9D659684B0D.jpeg
    80DAF12F-9C26-4753-B23F-E9D659684B0D.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 339
  • B322AF7D-2D3A-41F8-A4DD-FF13D3D9965C.jpeg
    B322AF7D-2D3A-41F8-A4DD-FF13D3D9965C.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_4151.MP4
    6.7 MB

Thamac15

Reaction score
That is a situation I hope I never have to experience. I'm happy to hear the dealer has treated you very well. Did you notice any driving irregularities prior to the CEL coming on? Any odd sounds/vibrations etc.?

OP
OP
W

WhiteWidow18

Reaction score
That is a situation I hope I never have to experience. I'm happy to hear the dealer has treated you very well. Did you notice any driving irregularities prior to the CEL coming on? Any odd sounds/vibrations etc.?

There was a noise which sounded like something was slipping such as a belt just prior to the power cut, but nothing loud or concerning. Truck drove fairly strong the first 300 miles. Had a few 80-90% throttle pulls with no issues

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's great customer service from your dealer, hope you get it back on the road in the next couple of weeks. Stuff happens, it's a rare occurrence to lose a motor like that.

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crap situation but for once sounds like dealer took care of its customer.
fingers crossed everything shows up that quickly. It is unheard of in the current economic shortages.

hope your back up and running soon.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I never buy a first year model. Issues are more than likely to happen in the first year than later years. Hope it all gets sorted out and you have many trouble free miles.
Funny comment. The motor has been around for years. This is not a first year model for anything other than the interior and the rear suspension, 37s, fog lights.

There will always be a very small percentage of every new automobile that will have a mechanical failure. No manufacturer is exempt from this.

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the reasons I never buy a first year model. Issues are more than likely to happen in the first year than later years. Hope it all gets sorted out and you have many trouble free miles.
Lol! Your statement would be valid if it was a new engine with new turbos BUT no. It is the same exact engine used since 2017. Obviously it is a defect with the turbos which is why they blew up within a few hundred miles.

Last edited: