Broken chain guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got the call that my truck was ready to pick up after going in for 21N03. They noted that I had a balance of $48 for a broken chain guide that they replaced while in there, that’s not covered under 21N03. Maybe @FordTechOne or someone else can chime in, but is the broken guide a secondary issue related to the phaser rattle or something completely separate?. Regardless I am glad they found that. Also went ahead and got a 4 year 48k ESP premium plan for peace of mind.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I just got the call that my truck was ready to pick up after going in for 21N03. They noted that I had a balance of $48 for a broken chain guide that they replaced while in there, that’s not covered under 21N03. Maybe @FordTechOne or someone else can chime in, but is the broken guide a secondary issue related to the phaser rattle or something completely separate?. Regardless I am glad they found that. Also went ahead and got a 4 year 48k ESP premium plan for peace of mind.
A broken chain guide would have been a nasty noise under almost all running conditions; it’s completely unrelated to 21N03. Sounds like the dealer broke it during service and since it’s not covered under 21N03, they want you to pay for it. Thats not right.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A broken chain guide would have been a nasty noise under almost all running conditions; it’s completely unrelated to 21N03. Sounds like the dealer broke it during service and since it’s not covered under 21N03, they want you to pay for it. Thats not right.

This did cross my mind as a strong possibility also, but what real proof do I have, I am sure if this is the case, they would just deny it. I will say this, I would hear what sounded like “grinding” under very light acceleration a few times but I was directed toward the vacuum IWE check valve, which I replaced but still felt like I heard a faint metal chatter at times. I have not driven it enough yet to confirm that I no longer hear that, but overall startups and engine idle sound so much smoother.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This did cross my mind as a strong possibility also, but what real proof do I have, I am sure if this is the case, they would just deny it. I will say this, I would hear what sounded like “grinding” under very light acceleration a few times but I was directed toward the vacuum IWE check valve, which I replaced but still felt like I heard a faint metal chatter at times. I have not driven it enough yet to confirm that I no longer hear that, but overall startups and engine idle sound so much smoother.
Well as you mention is not really possible to prove either way, because we weren’t there when it was disassembled. But for $48 is probably not worth arguing. They charged me $50 to replace the bolts in my skid plates after an oil change :facepalm:

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as you mention is not really possible to prove either way, because we weren’t there when it was disassembled. But for $48 is probably not worth arguing. They charged me $50 to replace the bolts in my skid plates after an oil change :facepalm:
I greatly appreciate the response as always. I have no words for the skid plate bolt replacement. I hope with the newer phasers I won’t fall victim to the rattle again, but if I do, hopefully it will be while I am still under warranty. I haven’t come across anyone stating they had to replace them again under the newest part numbers but I could be wrong.